Mander Organ Builders Forum

Lest We Forget

Malcolm Kemp

Having just watched the Festival of Remembrance from RAH, does anyone know the composer of the setting of Binyon's "For the Fallen" which Ms Jenkins has just sung? Corny, but nice! Am I alone in thinking that, in her day, Vera Lynn was a better singer than Ms Jenkins?

Malcolm

PS Common Worship might call this the Kingdom Season; in Brighton at the moment it's more like the Monsoon Season!

Having just watched the Festival of Remembrance from RAH, does anyone know the composer of the setting of Binyon's "For the Fallen" which Ms Jenkins has just sung? Corny, but nice! Am I alone in thinking that, in her day, Vera Lynn was a better singer than Ms Jenkins?

Malcolm

PS Common Worship might call this the Kingdom Season; in Brighton at the moment it's more like the Monsoon Season!

The music was written by a Geoff Stephens. Last night's was the second time this was performed and to my mind was not a patch on 3 or 4 years ago, where the organ was used to great effect. I have a vid of the original, which you can find here:

http://cid-49375b446d64e948.skydrive.live....%20Stephens.wmv

I'll leave it there for a couple of weeks. If after that anyone wants it, pm me.

Peter

ps. Spot the mistake, due to not watching the conductor..... where have I heard that before?

Peter

Thanks for that. I agree that the performance on your video is infinitely better than last night and I would love to keep a copy of it on-line somehow, What I can't find anywhere on line is any indication that the score is commercially available. Can anyone help of that please? Actually, the more I hear it the more I like it and it has a memorable tune.

At my church on Remembrance Sunday we have a tradition of doing the Blatchly setting with three singers, organ and trumpet and this is always very popular with our conregation. Before the service this morning I played Nimrod and then "Keep the home fires burning". To date, nobody has complained! Perhaps I've just got no proper taste!

Malcolm

Don't know if anyone is familiar with this one but we did "Had we but hearkened to thy word", with words set to Walford Davies' Solemn Melody for our Civic Service this morning. A simple, effective and very appropriate one for the occasion. I wasn't previously familiar with it.

As for organ music, I preluded the standard stuff I use for Remembrance (Thalben-Ball Elegy, Rawsthorne Londonderry Air Prelude and Nimrod) followed by an improvisation on I vow to thee my country. The end voluntary was William Walton's Introduction and March from Battle of Britain (as in Ceremonial Music).

Don't know if anyone is familiar with this one but we did "Had we but hearkened to thy word", with words set to Walford Davies' Solemn Melody for our Civic Service this morning. A simple, effective and very appropriate one for the occasion. I wasn't previously familiar with it.

As for organ music, I preluded the standard stuff I use for Remembrance (Thalben-Ball Elegy, Rawsthorne Londonderry Air Prelude and Nimrod) followed by an improvisation on I vow to thee my country. The end voluntary was William Walton's Introduction and March from Battle of Britain (as in Ceremonial Music).

We did Peter Irving's "For the Fallen", which has the last post written into it. We recorded it a few years ago at the end of choir practice to test a new microphone. You can find it here:

http://cid-49375b446d64e948.skydrive.live....he%20fallen.mp3

As with the other post, I'll leave it there for a couple of weeks.

Peter

Many years ago I heard music from the Albert Hall at the ceremony of remembrance, which consisted of the Last Post played as short phrases, each interspersed with a "meditation" on strings. Can anyone identify this, please?

I cannot help with your enquiry but the Royal Marines tune "Sunset" is appropriate. I thought you might be interested in my experience on 9.11.08. I deputise at a church where the minister is very "green" in the environmental sense and is also a pacifist, very much so. I offered to play "Last Post " and "Reveille" on the organ, but I was informed that under no circumstances would he permit anyhing with military overtones. We also missed out "God save the Queen", presumably because of the line "send her victorious". Likewise we missed "O God our help". However, he did allow me to play "Crown Imperial" afterwards.

Many years ago I heard music from the Albert Hall at the ceremony of remembrance, which consisted of the Last Post played as short phrases, each interspersed with a "meditation" on strings. Can anyone identify this, please?

Coincidentally, one of my congregation mentioned a piece such as this during a conversation yesterday. I've certainly not come across it - and, of course, couldn't identify the piece for her - but would be interested in having more information to pass on.

Since recommending the Royal Marines "Sunset" I have looked on the internet and found it on a CD. Log in to www.royalmarinesbands.co.uk and there is a disc entitled "Music at Sunset" available at £12.I think it is programme 1 track 8. The composer's surname is Green, but no initial quoted.

Since recommending the Royal Marines "Sunset" I have looked on the internet and found it on a CD. Log in to www.royalmarinesbands.co.uk and there is a disc entitled "Music at Sunset" available at £12.I think it is programme 1 track 8. The composer's surname is Green, but no initial quoted.

Thank you for that reference. A little google searching on "Sunset" "Bugle" and "Remembrance" throws up several references.

For the first page of the score, see

http://www.seayourhistory.org.uk/component...29/type,search/

For an account of the man, whose initials were AC

http://www.royalmarinesbands.co.uk/history/ACGreen1.html

I am sure that this is a version of the piece that I remembered, appearing on youtube from the 2007 Remembrance ceremony at the Albert Hall.

and also in another setting at

The following setting intersperses it with the singing of "Lead, kindly light"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CobcH42nhJs

However, although some of them might well have some accompanying strings (it's not easy to hear it all), none of them had the string "meditations" that I remember. I suspect that different arrangements may be used in different years. (Probably this is now way off topic, but there might well have been an organ somewhere in the background).