Mander Organ Builders Forum

Jan Mulder

Malcolm Kemp

Does anyone know how to get hold of copies of organ music by the Dutch composer Jan Mulder, please? Contacts with the publishers/stockists in Holland produce no results even when approached by bona fide music trade firms in the UK.

Malcolm

Having spent the best part of 9 months immersed (possibly drowning?) in Dutch organ music, I found the RCO library to be most helpful.

Does anyone know how to get hold of copies of organ music by the Dutch composer Jan Mulder, please? Contacts with the publishers/stockists in Holland produce no results even when approached by bona fide music trade firms in the UK.

Malcolm

Klaas Jan Mulder sadly died on the 1st of November this year, he was 78.

His Dutch Wiki entry might help in finding scores

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaas_Jan_Mulder

but I would advise you always enter the christian name 'Klass' when you search. He always performed under his full name.

N.B. We have at least one Dutch member on this forum, plus our friend Bazuin who works in Holland. Either may well be able to suggest a supply house for scores, always assuming that these were ever available. I say that because some of KJM's recorded compositions were more improvisations than anything else. My copy of Henderson gives two publishers for his pieces: J.C.Willemsen, Amsbachtsweg 42, 1271 AM Huizen, The Netherlands

and Joh. de Heer, Rozenlann 113, Postbus 3089, 3003 AB Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Cynic. I was wondering only a couple of hours ago whether you had moved to anothet planet as we don't seem to have heard much from you recently.

Meanwhile (see my posting on "Lest we forget" the monsoon season continues in Brighton and I am looking for a forum where I can get advice on building an ark (64ft, of course). I've not seen rain like this for years.

Malcolm

Meanwhile (see my posting on "Lest we forget" the monsoon season continues in Brighton and I am looking for a forum where I can get advice on building an ark (64ft, of course). I've not seen rain like this for years.

As a Brightonian you will know the rumour that St Bartholomews in Ann Street was built to the dimensions of the ark, so take that as a model.

Indeed, I learned with George Austin on that organ in the 1960s and have helped with the music there in more recent times. Presumably Noah didn't have the heating bills they now have although they do have the advantage of having a treasurer who is also the D-of-M.

Malcolm

I think I have been confusing the issue in that there appear to have been two Mulders - K J and J - with J probably being the son of KJ. The item I am partcularly interested in is "4 improbisations" by J Mulder. One of those pieces is on a fascinating you-tube clip. That is in the Hartog on-line catalogue but is currently unavailable. I do have an unfortunate habit of wanting to get hold of very obscure music.

Malcolm

Klaas Jan Mulder has indeed just passed away. He was a highly active concert artist in the Netherlands, especially popular among the orthodox protestant community. He was, it has to be said, much better than most in that world and certain recordings (including his last, made 2 years ago in the St Ouen in Rouen) received international acclaim.

Jan Mulder is, as far as I am aware, not related to Klaas Jan Mulder. He is a 'popular' concert pianist, especially popular among the orthodox protestant community.... <_< When he was younger, he played the organ seriously and made a few recordings, including one in St Ouen in Rouen..... B) It could be that he composed some organ music, but I guess its of the commercial, protestant, 'koraalbewerking' type.

So, as you can see I failed to answer the question, but at least I cleared up the misunderstanding!

Greetings

Bazuin