Mander Organ Builders Forum

Slow Access To Power Board

john carter

Recently, in the late evening, I have sometimes found the board extremely slow or, in the case yesterday, inaccessible. Is anybody else experiencing this? I have no difficulty with any other websites, so I do not think the problem is local to my machine or ISP. Is there a limit to the maximum number that can view the board simultaneously?

JC

Yes, late yesterday evening I could not connect with the site at all. Earlier on it had merely been very slow. I didn't have any problem connecting to other sites - though I have recently been finding streaming services such as YouTube and iPlayer unusable because the stream keeps feezing. However I am fairly confident that this is a separate problem entirely

Perhaps this is caused by organists being nocturnal creatures (someof the postings being made well past my own bedtime) and this excellent site being so popular that many people view it late in te evening.

Malcolm

It's very slow at 7 am this morning, so it might be thought that many organists are early risers.

However, at the bottom of the home page is the statement, "Most users ever online was 1 on Jun 2 2007, 03:52 PM". I'm the only one that the board thinks is online at present, so the slowness can't be caused by a surfeit of users.

Every night this week I have had a period of ten to fifteen minutes when almost all websites have been slow loading, and those with any sort of graphics unable to load at all. I put it down to maintenance on the ISP server. We're with Brightview, which is owned by BT. When the server needs maintenance, they sometimes need to switch it off, as they are a business server, it tends to happen early in the morning, between midnight and 2.00 a.m. If the Invision server is on a similar server (which I suspect it is), the site specific downtime people are experiencing would be explained.

Jonathan

This morning at 11.05, it took one minute for the grey background to appear, headline text appeared after four and a half minutes and five more minutes before the front page was fully loaded. Organographia, on the other hand, had downloaded almost before I took my hand from the mouse, as did organrecitals.com and organstops.org, that happen to be in the same favourites folder. My connection speed, when checked is sitting at a pretty healthy 5Mb/s.

JC

Every night this week I have had a period of ten to fifteen minutes when almost all websites have been slow loading, and those with any sort of graphics unable to load at all. I put it down to maintenance on the ISP server.

It could be because your signal to noise ratio has dropped as it does at night with so many people online. Unplugging your modem from the 'phone socket for a few seconds and then plugging it in again should allow it to resync and sort out the problem.

It could be because your signal to noise ratio has dropped as it does at night with so many people online. Unplugging your modem from the 'phone socket for a few seconds and then plugging it in again should allow it to resync and sort out the problem.

Sorry, but I don't think you have quite followed what I'm saying! I also had the problem this morning - but only with the Mander Board. Pierre's French language "Organographia", also an Invision Power Board, behaves promptly at all times, as do all other websites. Re-setting my router and changing my IP address will do nothing to increase my connection speed. Indeed it will do the opposite as BT's system optimises the speed of the connection over a period of 72 hours after any interruption. This is most definitely a fault condition. Nevertheless, I'm grateful for you taking the trouble to offer advice.

JC

Sorry, but I don't think you have quite followed what I'm saying! I also had the problem this morning - but only with the Mander Board. Pierre's French language "Organographia", also an Invision Power Board, behaves promptly at all times, as do all other websites. Re-setting my router and changing my IP address will do nothing to increase my connection speed. Indeed it will do the opposite as BT's system optimises the speed of the connection over a period of 72 hours after any interruption. This is most definitely a fault condition. Nevertheless, I'm grateful for you taking the trouble to offer advice.

JC

Sorry, John. I wasn't replying to you, actually!

Yes, I've noticed the same problem with this board becoming painfully slow at times recently. I think it must be a problem with the board's server. Indeed, another discussion forum run by the same company crashes every morning between 0104 and 0140!

Guest Geoff McMahon
Yes, I've noticed the same problem with this board becoming painfully slow at times recently. I think it must be a problem with the board's server. Indeed, another discussion forum run by the same company [et seq]

John and I are following this thread. The board being slow might be have one or more possible causes but this board isn't "run by the same company": it is hosted on the Mander server, not at Invision Power. It would help if people included information about when they found the board slow (then we can look in the access logs to see if anything else of note was going on at the same time); also, if possible, with whom they have their broadband connection: I would not be surprised if one effect of the economic downturn were that ADSL kit is not being replaced or upgraded.

Rachel Mawhood

Webmaster, Mander Organs

John and I are following this thread. The board being slow might be have one or more possible causes but this board isn't "run by the same company": it is hosted on the Mander server, not at Invision Power.

I hadn't realized that Rachel. Sorry.

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

It might be worth pointing out that in this technological age of more and more homes possessing Wireless Networks, they are affected quite badly by microwaves being used. Broadband becomes very very slow in the circumstances and could account (as it does in my home), for a rise in blood pressure. I have tried a change of frequency but to no avail (as yet).

All best wishes,

Nigel

John and I are following this thread. The board being slow might be have one or more possible causes but this board isn't "run by the same company": it is hosted on the Mander server, not at Invision Power. It would help if people included information about when they found the board slow (then we can look in the access logs to see if anything else of note was going on at the same time); also, if possible, with whom they have their broadband connection: I would not be surprised if one effect of the economic downturn were that ADSL kit is not being replaced or upgraded.

Rachel Mawhood

Webmaster, Mander Organs

Hi

I wonder if there was a more general web problem at the time. Yesterday morning I found any web access to be painfully slow, not just the Mander site - but strangely, e-mails were fine. (I'm currently using BT broadband basic on a wired network. All seems OK now (1:30 Sunday)

Every Blessing

Tony

On every occasion when I have found the board to be slow, I was able to load other websites without any delays. Some members might have local problems that slow down all of their web accesses, but independently there does seem to be an issue that applies only to the board. If I notice a slow response in future I'll post a message noting the time at which this was happening.

I'm not that sure there are many people online between midnight and 2.00 a.m. when the problem usually occurs. Most of the time it is instantaneous. We're on 8 Meg and its a business server, so there are not a lot of people using it at that time I suspect!

Jonathan

I'm not that sure there are many people online between midnight and 2.00 a.m. when the problem usually occurs. Most of the time it is instantaneous. We're on 8 Meg and its a business server, so there are not a lot of people using it at that time I suspect!

Jonathan

You'd be surprised, Jonathan! That's actually about the worst time of day. It would probably pay to check your modem settings and see just what the signal to noise ratio is when you have problems. Or just unplug your modem from the 'phone line for a few seconds, and see what happens when you resync.

Just for information, I have never found the board to be slow to access or load pages. I am on the outskirts of Manchester and a long way from the local exchange, which means speeds never exceed 2.5 Mbps.

One thought, many ISP's do their maintenance in the small hours.

Regards, Peter.

You shouldn't have to keep rebooting your modem though, should you?

I'm with blueyonder and I think the major problems (when I've had them) have been from about 22.00 hrs onwards. If it happens again I'll report in. For the last couple of days it's been whizzing along nicely without any problems.

• 1 month later...

Rachel Mawhood

Webmaster, Mander Organs

The board was slow this evening from about 1810 to 1822, and wouldn't display any pages. Other websites loaded without a problem, so the problem wasn't this end. Hope that helps.