Mander Organ Builders Forum

Finnish Church, London Se 16

Peter Clark

Drd's topic about the Jamaican High Commission reminded me of an organ I played for a year or so whilst my main appointment was Holy Trinity (RC) Dockhead SE16. The Finnish Church, situated in Albion Road, had at that time (20 or so years ago) a one manual Marcussen (pedalboard to D). I would play for the main Parish Mass in the morning and then at 6 in the evening the Finnish Mass, which followed more or less the same pattern as the Catholic. The appointment, such as it was, came about by quite by chance as I had been past the church many times and seen the organ through the window, and one day decided to visit. Up till then the priest's wife had been playing, something she did not want to do and so I was asked if I would be interested. She sat with me for the first two or three services, since I didn't then, and still don't, speak any Finnish! I was therefore very happy when, after my 5th or 6th service there the priest and wife greeted me with the congratulatory words that I MUST speak Finish because I seemed to match the words of the hymns musically in terms of dynamics and registration! Divine inspiration? After the service there were always goodies to be had - very sticky and sweet - and strong coffee. I was quite sorry when there was a change of pastor and I was "no longer required", since I had permenent access to the organ and took quite a few collegues along, all of whom pronounced it a fine organ. I also enjoyed playing a service in a language I didn't understand, as it was a challenge both musically and liturgically.

I would be interested to know if it still is used and if anyone here has played it. NPOR doesn't have any mention of it.

Peter

Sorry I can't provide any information on the current state of the organ, but NPOR has it here http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=N08839

Thanks for this Graham: my memory of the organ isn't quite what I thought - or it's just old age creeping up. Can't think how I missed it on NPOR though (he says as he reaches for another G&T ;) ).

Peter