Mander Organ Builders Forum

Richard Hickox

handsoff

Guest Stanley Monkhouse

Richard was organ scholar at Queens' 1967-1970. I was at Queens 1969-1972 and sang under his baton in the Chapel choir, the College choral society and the Purcell society. He was indeed a man of great energy, great generosity and fun. RIP

This is the most shocking news. Although I didn't know Hickox, we worked together in the 2001 Gloucester Three Choirs Festival, where he conducted Delius's Mass of Life. The energy and intellectual power he brought to TCF was always impressive; the way he managed to make a cohesive, passionate whole out of the Delius and its massive forces was an inspiration.

• 2 weeks later...
Very sorry to hear this sad news. I have an idea that he had been organist at High Wycombe parish church and also at St Margaret's Westminster but I may be mistaken.

Malcolm

He was most definitely at St Margaret's Westminster. The Revd Trevor Beeson's "Window on Westminster" mentions Hickox leaving the post after many years of dedicated service, in order to pursue his conducting work. (Perhaps that explains the excellence of St Endellion Festivals - he combined all the finesse of his concert work with his already-considerable knowledge of church music to create something special and distinctive.)

No doubt the RCO will note his passing: he was one of very few conductors to have FRCO amongst their achievements.

...he was one of very few conductors to have FRCO amongst their achievements.

The following (among others) might beg to differ:

Sir Richard Armstrong

Stephen Barlow

Benjamin Bayl

Steuart Bedford

Harry Bicket

Ivor Bolton

Paul Brough

Nicholas Cleobury

Laurence Cummings

Meredith Davies

Richard Farnes