Mander Organ Builders Forum

Christmas Postlude

Philip

Guest Echo Gamba
I did wonder about that but there is a short section where it goes all forte with a pause and some kind of dramatic cadence, that didn't quite seem to lend itself to Communion. I don't want to get them too excited!

Haven't played it for years - I'd forgotten that bit, although I wouldn't go ott with the f's; reckon it would be better beforehand then.

Is anyone thinking of doing Pastorale a Gesu Bambino by Pietro Yon? I needed a new Christmas Postlude - if that's what you call the thing at the end -and have settled on that one.

Reasonably easy (crucially, for me!) but I'm not sure how it would fit with the Bach the OP was planning.

Someone mentioned the French Noels (Dacquin?). I've never hear it/them played so would appreciate being pointed in the direction of a recording because I've no Idea really how to register it with my limited resources.

For the Daquin Noels, you simply have to have Christopher Herrick's Hyperion recording, from a church in Dieppe if memory serves. The registrations are about as authentic as you'll ever hear on disc, and the performances (needless to say) are exemplary.

Not sure if it's been mentioned by anyone else yet, but the Jongen Toccata is very effective at the end of a Carol Service.

Just to mention briefly, I've opted to keep it simple so I'll be doing the Sleigh Ride from a simple arrangement. I'll probably do it a couple of times over with a few modulations in there, hopefully it will send everyone home feeling happy. I might try and track down the Thomas Trotter arrangement, but in terms of using it that would be something for next year.

As always, all the help is much appreciated!

The Thomas Trotter arrangement of Sleigh Ride is really fun, not difficult (as even I can manage it!) and is published by Banks, York YO41 1LB. I bought a copy last year, but sadly cannot play it in my church after Mass as it would not be considered suitable in a Catholic Church as it is purely secular. Never mind, it's very entertaining and enjoyable to play. Robert.

The Thomas Trotter arrangement of Sleigh Ride is really fun, not difficult (as even I can manage it!) and is published by Banks, York YO41 1LB. I bought a copy last year, but sadly cannot play it in my church after Mass as it would not be considered suitable in a Catholic Church as it is purely secular. Never mind, it's very entertaining and enjoyable to play. Robert.

Oh, I dunno! It is quite tricky to bring off properly IMHO.

Has anyone experienced Sleigh Bells across the Snow by Malcolm Archer? - 'have just ordered a copy - he's usually a good bet.

A

Haven't heard of this one - is it based on the Anderson tune Sleigh Ride? By the way does anyone know when or if his Bach Goes to Blackpool will be published?

Peter

The Sleigh Bells across the snow was the one I referred to further up the thread. Its in the spirit of the Sleigh Ride, which according to the composer's note at the front Archer holds in high regard. Its reasonably good but I don't think it'll ever be in the same league as all the well-known pieces.

The Sleigh Bells across the snow was the one I referred to further up the thread. Its in the spirit of the Sleigh Ride, which according to the composer's note at the front Archer holds in high regard. Its reasonably good but I don't think it'll ever be in the same league as all the well-known pieces.

Oops - 'should have read the whole thread! Maybe I'll do one of my own.

A