Mander Organ Builders Forum

Dudley Savage Rip

DQB123

Although much more well known in the realms of the theatre organ, the passing of Dudley Savage (yesterday) should not go without mention. He was best known for his long-running radio programme "As Prescribed", broadcast from the fine 3/8 Compton of the ABC/Royal, Plymouth. I also remember seeing him present Songs of Praise from a church in the West Country (Truro?).

Methinks that his departure is a significant loss to the organ world.

Q

Guest Echo Gamba

This is sad news. "As Prescribed" was always on on Sunday mornings in our house when I was a boy in the '60s, learning the organ. I still have a charming letter from Dudley wishing me well with my organ playing, together with the spec of the Plymouth organ, in response to a "fan" letter I wrote to him. May he rest in peace and rise in glory +

In my young days (so many years ago!) "As Prescribed" with Dudley Savage was very popluar on Sunday mornings. He was a much better player than many other theatre organists of his generation and never really got the recognition he deserved. I suspect the secret of his success/popularity was partly that he didn't try to be too clever.

Malcolm

Although much more well known in the realms of the theatre organ, the passing of Dudley Savage (yesterday) should not go without mention. He was best known for his long-running radio programme "As Prescribed", broadcast from the fine 3/8 Compton of the ABC/Royal, Plymouth. I also remember seeing him present Songs of Praise from a church in the West Country (Truro?)

I also seem to recall seeing him on Songs of Praise at one stage. Can't remember when though.

Dave

Guest Echo Gamba
I am indeed sorry to hear this. His performances on Sundays infuenced me greatly into playing the theatre organ (learning with the late Reginald Porter-Brown) along with my studies in classical organ playing.

...A sad loss.

Is that the Porter-Brown of Tuba Tune fame? One of my deputies often plays it in my absence, so I'm told, but I have not come across it - is it still in print please?

Is that the Porter-Brown of Tuba Tune fame? One of my deputies often plays it in my absence, so I'm told, but I have not come across it - is it still in print please?

It is indeed, but I regret that I haven't seen a copy for very many years.

Sad news indeed, the passing of Dudley Savage.

"One" regret I have is that I never met him; which is rather a shame as I grew up in Gulval near Penzance and Dudley was something of a local hero. His sister, who died some years ago, taught me to play the piano for a while; they were quite a musical family. I learned to play the organ in the village church where he had. It's not a large building by any means (anyone who knows the churches of west Cornwall will understand) seating perhaps 200 people at a push but the organ is larger than most in the area and certainly is a quality instrument, thanks to the local wealthy family. (NOPR number N11185 as he knew it and R00160 as rebuilt-he played the reopening recital in 1969. Sadly I was not there for this having only been born that year!

A few years back I did give a recital there and there were plans afoot to have another evening when Dudley would come and we would both take part. Unfortunately this came to nothing.

Graffiti...? Well, when he was still in Gulval as a boy he scatched his initials "D S" just below the choir manual on the right hand side of the brass lock. Having been told this and spending many many hours at the same console I thought "I can do that" and I did: "C L" on the left hand side of the lock!!

May he rest in peace.

It is indeed, but I regret that I haven't seen a copy for very many years.

Reginald Porter Brown's Tuba Tune: It's a bit of fun, well worth adding to one's repertoire. Has been recorded by Jonathan Rennert at St.Michael's Cornhill.

I bought my copy only a year or two ago; it has a nice shiny yellow cover and is published by Stainer & Bell.

I'm reasonably sure they'll still do it. Try Allegro.

In this connection: Felton Rapley's solo compositions are also worth a look.

[These are all out of print, of course.] Breton Berceuse is my favourite.

Reginald Porter Brown's Tuba Tune: It's a bit of fun, well worth adding to one's repertoire. Has been recorded by Jonathan Rennert at St.Michael's Cornhill.

I bought my copy only a year or two ago; it has a nice shiny yellow cover and is published by Stainer & Bell.

I'm reasonably sure they'll still do it. Try Allegro.

In this connection: Felton Rapley's solo compositions are also worth a look.

[These are all out of print, of course.] Breton Berceuse is my favourite.

Musicroom have it for £6.50.

Peter

• 2 months later...

List members may be interested to know that a memorial service for Dudley was held yesterday afternoon at St. Andrews church, Plymouth.

A goodly number of local people attended as well as those organists and enthusiasts from further afield to whom Dudley's music and friendship had obviously meant a great deal.

It was notable to see the Lord Mayor of Plymouth, the Leader of South Devon County Council and the Mayor of Penzance (Dudley was born in Gulval just outside the town), with their spouces, all in attendance, and the organ was played (including some nice lighter pieces associated with Dudley) by Andrew Teague. It was Andrew's father Dudley Teague who masterminded the 43,000 signature petition to the BBC which resulted in 'As Prescribed' being reinstated after being dropped from the schedules in 1968. Jonathan Mann also contributed a rendition of Dudley's composition "Just for Two", while Will Light accompanied Dudley's daughter-in-law Sue Savage in the song "Every Hour" composed by Dudley for his wife Doreen while serving in the Indian Army during the Second World War. Peter Savage gave a warm and moving tribute to his parents, and other tributes came from his good friend Bill Moore, Andrew Teague, and also one read by Andrew from members and officers of The Theatre Organ Club.

A quiet and modest man, it was clear the high esteem in which Dudley was still held, and it was nice to see so many local people who clearly had not forgotten him or his broadcasts.