Mander Organ Builders Forum

Dutch Protestants

davidh

I imagine that in most European countries there are churches with poor organs, poor choirs, poor congregational singing, incompetent organists (I am one, but try not to play when anyone else might be listening), good organists who occasionally have an off day, poor choice of music to perform, and poor improvisations. Of course there are many excellent counter-examples to each of these as well.

I have noticed several dismissive references on this forum to the music of Dutch protestants, and to "koraalbewerking" as a musical form.

My experience of music in Holland, although limited, has led me to believe that in many places the standards are extremely high. Some chorale variations aren't works of genius, but others are little gems.

If enjoying Dutch protestant music is a sign of musical immaturity, I plead guilty.

"I have noticed several dismissive references on this forum to the music of Dutch protestants, and to "koraalbewerking" as a musical form.

My experience of music in Holland, although limited, has led me to believe that in many places the standards are extremely high. Some chorale variations aren't works of genius, but others are little gems."

Correct. In the liturgically more progressive areas where the standard of music is considered to be of some importance, and the musicians are paid, there are of course places where standards are high. In addition, there are individual organists of a remarkable level, sometimes even in very orthodox places. Unfortunately, in the vast majority of orthodox protestant areas, the organists are not paid (on principle), the level of music making is not in any sense of importance (only the sermon) and the tastes of the organists are often highly questionable (as has been demonstrated with various Youtube clips this week).

If you want to hear remarkable Protestant Dutch organ playing, listen to the recordings of Klaas Bolt (for example).

Greetings

Bazuin

If you want to hear remarkable Protestant Dutch organ playing, listen to the recordings of Klaas Bolt (for example).

I have his Chorale compositions and improvations recorded at Haarlem. It's excellent, but seems to be the only one of his recordings available at present.