Mander Organ Builders Forum

Rochester Cathedral

Guest Roffensis

Guest Roffensis

A most unusual CD has been issued of Rochester Cathedral Organ, featuring several tracks of James Bond themes. Surely a "must have" if ever there was. I recall a visiting Organist to my own church playing "The Beyondness Of Things" once, at a recital. That actually worked very well indeed.

I think seriously a new trend should now be set. I see no reason why for example a selection of Shirley Bassey hits should not sit beside works such as Vierne 2 or indeed Widor 9 on a CD. Even such as a selection of Spice Girls hits would sound simply glorious on a decent Cathedral organ. Most of us by now must be stuffed with the standard Organ repertoire.

Although I have always considered a solo disc of Whitlock's organ music would be ideal from Rochester, I do hope others will follow this enlightened example of good music.

R

Whilst doing this stuff is all well and good... surely it needs publicity and a performer who has almost 'pop star' charisma? If this person was found, it could raise the organs profile considerably. And that would be good for all of us

What if all those you suggest this to have more good taste than a desire for Mammon?

I like and respect Richard, but I cannot help feeling that this suggestion is either firmly tongue in cheek or substantially below his usual artistic level.

'Raise the organ's profile?'

This is what Cameron Carpenter is doing, Carlo too ...and what criticism do they constantly get for it?!!!!

What if all those you suggest this to have more good taste than a desire for Mammon?

I like and respect Richard, but I cannot help feeling that this suggestion is either firmly tongue in cheek or substantially below his usual artistic level.

This is what Cameron Carpenter is doing, Carlo too ...and what criticism do they constantly get for it?!!!!

I agree with you, Cynic.

Surely not everyone has such catholic taste? I find the thought of mixing (for commercial reasons or otherwise) Shirley Bassey with the sublime Choral from Vierne's Deuxième Symphonie simply reprehensible.

Incidentally, I note that Carpenter's latest CD has attracted a less than favourable review in a recent issue of BBC Music magazine.

Surely not everyone has such catholic taste? I find the thought of mixing (for commercial reasons or otherwise) Shirley Bassey with the sublime Choral from Vierne's Deuxième Symphonie simply reprehensible.

I think we've been here before - several times! There's entertainment and entertainment, isn't there? Some people like serious, "high-art" music; the majority prefer lighter fare. Different markets. Since I'm an inherently intense kind of chap, I'm firmly on the serious side, so my natural instinct is to agree with you - and since I've never been the slightest bit interested in promoting myself (other than sounding off anonymously here) I can afford the luxury of being slightly sniffy about it - which I admit I often am. However, I am also fairly certain that if I were a professional concert performer who had to rely on entertaining people in order to earn a crust, I might have an altogether different take on the subject.

Is it not possible that the type of programming here will attract those who like lighter music and, at the same time, kindle their interest in more serious repertoire? It is unusual programming, certainly, but I think it is potantially ambassadorial and I suspect that one really ought to attend a Midas Touch recital and assess the audience's reaction before forming any conclusions.

Guest Echo Gamba

I am often accused of pomposity, but I was beseiged by appreciative punters after Sunday's carol service, having played Robert Gower's arrangement of "Walking In The Air" before the service.

(It was a good day - boy treble soloist stayed bang on pitch throughout v.1 of "Once in royal" !)

Guest Roffensis

And of course you know me well!

R

Guest Roffensis

Interesting comment. Yes I know what you mean, and musicianship is also vital to "spread the word" if you like. D'Arcy Trinkwon is also a wonderful Ambassador of the organ. Take a glance at his huge repertoire. For me, his Demmessieux and Messiaen remain unrivalled for example. A simply amazing technique, with musicianship.

R