Mander Organ Builders Forum

Holy Innocents Day

cornetdeschats

I am unaware of any music suitable for the commemoration of the mass murder of young children, especially as I am informed by a local theologian that there is no historical evidence that Herod's instructions were ever actually carried out. I hope they weren't. (Apparently it would have got him into serious trouble with Rome apart from anything else and there are no records of it apart from the Gospels.) However, we are lumbered with it as a feast(!!!) so we have to make the best of it.

Far better those churches that follow the Universal Calendar of the western church and celebrate the Holy Family on Sunday. I suggest you carry on with the festive Christmas theme. You will probably have a very small congregation anyway and they won't want to be thinking about death. We are doing "The infant King" arr. Edgar Pettman and I am playing Festival Voluntary by Flor Peeters so that my seasonal eating and drinking won't be unnecessarily interrputed by a need to practice.

Hope this helps.

Malcolm

Dear All, as the Sunday after Christmas falls on HI this year, I realise I have no idea how to play it. the Motet is the Coventry Carol, but what would you suggest for afters? I don't suppose Andrew Carter wrote an equally useful fantasia on Lullay Lulla...

Many thanks

There's something ('copy is at church so I can't check) in the Oxford Christmas Album (same book as the Andrew Carter Toccata) based on the Coventry Carol - I think by Lloyd - Webber (W.S not Sir A! :blink: ) - quietish and quite effective.

Alastair

How about BWV 696, "Was fürchtst du, Feind Herodes"?

Why are you so afraid, foe Herod,

that Christ the Lord comes born to us?

He seeks no mortal kingdom,

he who brings his own heaven to us.

It seems to address the issue. And you can be quite sure the congregation will spot the allusion :blink: .

Dear All, as the Sunday after Christmas falls on HI this year, I realise I have no idea how to play it. the Motet is the Coventry Carol, but what would you suggest for afters? I don't suppose Andrew Carter wrote an equally useful fantasia on Lullay Lulla...

Many thanks

There's a fantasia on The Coventry Carol (by Andrew Fletcher?) in one of the Kevin Mayhew Christmas Anthologies, although I suspect it is out of print as my copy came to me second-hand and the title cannot be found on the KM website...

What about Howells Psalm-Prelude Set 1 No. 1? "Lo the poor crieth..." - appropriate enough for Holy Innocents or indeed for Holocaust Memorial Day which is also coming soon if memory serves aright.

There's a fantasia on The Coventry Carol (by Andrew Fletcher?) in one of the Kevin Mayhew Christmas Anthologies, although I suspect it is out of print as my copy came to me second-hand and the title cannot be found on the KM website...

A search of Andrew Fletcher's catalogue of compositions for this title proves fruitless. Another suggestion as to composer will solve the mystery.

A search of Andrew Fletcher's catalogue of compositions for this title proves fruitless. Another suggestion as to composer will solve the mystery.

Possibly Andrew Moore or Andrew Gant? Or it might have been one of the other Kevin Mayhew "house" composers, such as Colin Mawby, Christopher Tambling or Colin Hand. Unfortunately I don't remember ... nor do I remember the name of the collection in which I found it, although "Christmas Preludes" rings a bell. Sorry to be so useless on this occasion!

I am unaware of any music suitable for the commemoration of the mass murder of young children, especially as I am informed by a local theologian that there is no historical evidence that Herod's instructions were ever actually carried out. I hope they weren't. (Apparently it would have got him into serious trouble with Rome apart from anything else and there are no records of it apart from the Gospels.) However, we are lumbered with it as a feast(!!!) so we have to make the best of it.

Far better those churches that follow the Universal Calendar of the western church and celebrate the Holy Family on Sunday. I suggest you carry on with the festive Christmas theme. You will probably have a very small congregation anyway and they won't want to be thinking about death. We are doing "The infant King" arr. Edgar Pettman and I am playing Festival Voluntary by Flor Peeters so that my seasonal eating and drinking won't be unnecessarily interrputed by a need to practice.

Hope this helps.

Malcolm

However, it's not all bad!

In Spain and Ibero-America, December 28 is a day for pranks, equivalent to April Fool's Day in many countries. Pranks are known as inocentadas and their victims are called inocentes, or alternatively, the pranksters are the "inocentes" and the victims should not be angry at them, since they could not have committed any sin. Various Catholic countries had a tradition (no longer widely observed) of role reversal between children and their adult educators, including boy bishops, perhaps a Christianized version of the Roman annual feast of the Saturnalia (when even slaves played 'masters' for a day). In some cultures it is said to be an unlucky day, when no new project should be started, unlikely in the days of the current 'credit crunch'!

Didn't Herod die two years before Christ was born?

:lol:

R

My bible dictionary gives his dates as 40 - 4BC (I think that's his time as King, not his whole life). Jesus, I understand, is believed to have been born in 4BC; sounds a bit strange, but the date was miscalculated later. So, no, doesn't look like it!

Regards and a Very Happy New Year to you all.

John.