Mander Organ Builders Forum

Meditation On Suo Gan - Caleb Jarvis

Peter Clark

Can I put out an APB for this if anyone knows how I can get hold of a copy, or has one that can be scanned, or by whatever other means does not violate divine or civil law this can come my way? I'm planning a recfital for March 1st - St David's Day - and am hoping to do a Welsh-themed (though not exclusively so) programme. So far I'm putting in Mathias' Antiphonies, and probably Rhosymedre (spelt wrongly I think) by RVW.

Thanks

Peter

PS just realisefd that March 1st follows Feb 28th. Feb 28th is my birthday. How sensible therefore is it to plan a recital for the day after one's birthday?

Try Roger Molyneux's catalogue at www.usedorganmusic.co.uk Even if it isn't in the current catalogue (I haven't checked) he should have new catalogue out towards the end of January. Otherwise try Richard Barnes on 01243 379968 once the holiday is over. Another possibility is www.abebooks.co.uk where, although primarily a source for books, it is possible to buy sheet music also.

Malcolm

The British Library lists a copy in its online catalogue, publisher Lengnick (London) 1962. The title is shewn as "A Welsh Lullaby (based on the folk-song "Suo Gan")". Shelfmark is g.1378.k.(4.)

It isn't available for loan but they will supply a photocopy; you can order one over the net with a credit card. Looks like it's going to cost about £15 though. This includes the copyright fee, so the copy if 100% legal.

You may also be able to get a photocopy from the BL through your local library, and it may be cheaper than going direct since they will get cheaper rates than you can as an unregistered user, and they may subsidise it on top of that. My local library service (Bradford) is very good at this sort of thing, if a little slow.

British library web site is http://www.bl.uk and I found it just be entering the composer's name.

I often use the British Library on-line integrated catalogue to get details of publications. On one occasion several years ago I requested photocopies of some music from them and after a wait of several months, during which I heard nothing, I adopted a policy of making a nuisance of myself by ringing with increasing frequency so that eventually they would deal with my request purely to get rid of me. It worked. I hope you have more success than I did.

Malcolm

I often use the British Library on-line integrated catalogue to get details of publications. On one occasion several years ago I requested photocopies of some music from them and after a wait of several months, during which I heard nothing, I adopted a policy of making a nuisance of myself by ringing with increasing frequency so that eventually they would deal with my request purely to get rid of me. It worked. I hope you have more success than I did.

Malcolm

Once upon a time, the best advice when searching for out-of-print English organ music would be to ask the RCO Librarian and he would send you a photocopy. I was afforded this kindness a number of times and it took very little time unlike Malcolm's story of the British Library above. Now, however, the RCO written policy about their library reads something along the lines of

'photocopying facilities are not currently available'.

I wish I had this item and could save you a long search. Lengnick have an e-mail address,

gbmuswill@aol.com

so you could try for assistance that way, they might have a file copy!

Many thanks to you all for responding - I will try all 3 methods! (Although I live in Cardiff I have a friend in London who may be able to get to the British Library and get a copy there and then - or do they only do postal and on-line applications?) On the subject of Welsh-themed music, I believe Carlo Curley once wrote a piece based on the lovely Welsh tune Ar Hyd y Nos (Day is done). I heard him play it a few years ago and I think he said it was a written-out piece and not a spur of the moment improvisation. Anybody know/play this? Is it in print?

Peter

Guest Roffensis
Many thanks to you all for responding - I will try all 3 methods! (Although I live in Cardiff I have a friend in London who may be able to get to the British Library and get a copy there and then - or do they only do postal and on-line applications?) On the subject of Welsh-themed music, I believe Carlo Curley once wrote a piece based on the lovely Welsh tune Ar Hyd y Nos (Day is done). I heard him play it a few years ago and I think he said it was a written-out piece and not a spur of the moment improvisation. Anybody know/play this? Is it in print?

Peter

Peter as you know I have this music, and will scan it for you. It's 3 pages. I will need your email address and apologies for not doing it sooner!........

R