Mander Organ Builders Forum

Fotopic Update

DaveHarries

Hi all,

Have just found that I can not access my Fotopic site. Further to that it has gone round on a transport enthusiast group here in England that fotopic has gone BUST. So, with much regret, I hereby inform you all that my short-lived site containing photos of Church Organs - previously at http://churchorgans.fotopic.net - is no more. I hope to reconstitute something similar on another site and I will post any info on that in due course.

I am gutted, and quite (........) off. :P

Dave

Hi all,

Have just found that I can not access my Fotopic site. Further to that it has gone round on a transport enthusiast group here in England that fotopic has gone BUST. So, with much regret, I hereby inform you all that my short-lived site containing photos of Church Organs - previously at http://churchorgans.fotopic.net - is no more. I hope to reconstitute something similar on another site and I will post any info on that in due course.

I am gutted, and quite (........) off. :P

Dave

I feel for you - there is nothing worse than compiling a complex and time-consuming list of photos/web info only to find this.

I feel for you - there is nothing worse than compiling a complex and time-consuming list of photos/web info only to find this.

Thanks.

The other annyoyance is that, as a bus enthusiast, I also had a large online collection of bus photos on another site. There were over 500 photos on that and I scored 32000+ hits last year making 68000+ during the life of the site. I had quite a few of the photos on the bus front backed up on my PC but there were quite a few lost where I delted the photos to make way for more on the camera card (and there was also one camera that got pinched but was replaced with a cheaper one which turned out to be better!) but I still reckon I have lost as much as 35% - 50% of my bus photos to the history books.

I will find some way of getting some of the photos back online and will post a message when this has been done. But it is a terrible cheese.

Thanks again for your message. Good wishes and Happy New Year,

Dave

I'd wish you a happy new year, except that it obviously isn't! Shame. I'd feel gutted too.

You probably know this, but if you just want a site to host your photos you could take out a pro account (currently $24.95 a year, or $47.99 for your first two years) on Flickr, which is well-established and probably widely enough used to survive (so far as you can be certain of anything in this day and age). It would allow you to set up separate folders for your organ and bus pics (and others if you want). Photobucket is another popular one, but I know less about that.

I have just heard an unsubstantiated rumour that the fotopic problem may be nothing more than a technical issue blown out of all proportion by a few people.

Fingers crossed for you, Dave...

Yes I have heard this as well via. a bus enthusiast group of which I am a moderator. It is at the end of a firm called Kingston Communications but nothing on their website about that.

I started wondering what was going down when I tried to access the upload system to add a bus photo on and then I started getting emails saying it was gone. But this was what I was sent on the bus enthusiast group:

"Update : "Fotopic.net was taken over by a company called Snappy Designs Ltd in May 2008 owned by ANY-Web Group, it is offline today due to a technical fault at Kingston Communications and I've been told by Snappy that it will be back sometime tonight (Friday). No statement has been issued by Fotopic.net. Directors have told me the company is solvent and this isn't related to it at all - I'd suggest you wait for the site to come back then I'm sure an official statement will be forthcoming."

If the site comes back then I will start singing "Yippee I I yippee yippee I" to something like the tune of "She'll be coming round the mountain". :P

Dave

GOOD NEWS!!!!!

An email from a bus enthusiast group advised that Fotopic was back up and working as of around 10:25am UK Time. I have checked and I am thereby pleased to announce, with huge relief, that my Church Organ photos are now back online as are my other photos as well. Addresses remain as they were.

Dave

GOOD NEWS!!!!!

An email from a bus enthusiast group advised that Fotopic was back up and working as of around 10:25am UK Time. I have checked and I am thereby pleased to announce, with huge relief, that my Church Organ photos are now back online as are my other photos as well. Addresses remain as they were.

Dave

Pleased to hear that Dave- you must be relieved.

You now should try to find a way to download a copy of all your photos back to your PC, or an external drive or something like that, just in case it ever happens again. It is worth keeping the originals on your PC anyway and uploading copies to the hosting service.

Best wishes

Richard

Yes, back 'em up, Dave!

Rather than clog up your hard disk with photos you might be better off backing them up on flash drives. Less hassle when you change your computer. That's what I do, though I have so many that my son tells me I really ought to be using a spare hard disk. I'm sure he's right really.

Yes, back 'em up, Dave!

Rather than clog up your hard disk with photos you might be better off backing them up on flash drives. Less hassle when you change your computer. That's what I do, though I have so many that my son tells me I really ought to be using a spare hard disk. I'm sure he's right really.

Your son is correct Vox...£ for £ an external hard drive is really good value - try ebuyer.com - you can get an external 500Gb hard drive that simply connects to your PC via a USB cable for around £60. To fill it would take around 250,000 photos! Everyone should have one of these; not only for photos, but music, documents, email address book, internet favorite (sic) websites etc...most models come with simple backup software pre-loaded aswell, so even PC-shy users would have no problems.

Goodness, I sound like an advert! I am only pressing this point, as PCs are my job and on a weekly basis I come into contact with customers who have lost their precious data through a failed PC, and it need not be - a simple solution like this protects all your personal data.

Best wishes

Richard