Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organ Music On The Bbc

handsoff

A thread on the BBC message board devoted to "The Choir" has recently appeared bemoaning the lack of organ music on R3. It's probably a lost cause but if enough listeners made their points in a coherent and non-ranting mode then someone with influence in the corporation may take notice. It's a simple and quick business to set up an alias.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbradio3/F7497568

Guest Patrick Coleman
A thread on the BBC message board devoted to "The Choir" has recently appeared bemoaning the lack of organ music on R3. It's probably a lost cause but if enough listeners made their points in a coherent and non-ranting mode then someone with influence in the corporation may take notice. It's a simple and quick business to set up an alias.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbradio3/F7497568

I think to be fair the situation has dramatically improved, and has been appreciated, not least on this board.

I agree to some extent, but had it not been for Messiaen's centenary there would have been a lot less. I keep an eye on the Radio Times and there is very rarely a listed organ piece. Compare that to the amount of piano and even harpsichord music shown. I know that some of the compilation programmes such as "Breakfast" play organ music but it is still quite rare and the music itself is entirely predictable.

When I was student in the 1970s, there were weekly recitals, sometimes live and sometimes recorded. The Proms apart, when last was an organ recital broadcast in the daytime? To be perfectly honest, for my own part I don't much care because my CD collection covers pretty much everything I want to hear but I do feel that a regular slot on the radio would do a lot to bring the public's attention to the instrument; something that I think all board members would agree is desirable.

Rob Cowan on Radio 3 in the mornings from 7 until 10 am is a great champion of our cause and plays an antonishing amount of organ music on his programme. A couple of mornings ago I was amazed to be cleaning my teeth (yes - I've still got my own) whilst listening to a performance of the JSB P&F in A major which is rarely head these days.

Malcolm

The lack of organ music on the BBC is a long running problem and there have been a number of occasions when it has been put to them. I recall mention of it in Organists' Review a few years ago but it has all been to no avail. I expect some will remember a whole evening devoted to the organ a couple of years back when I think they hoped it would shut us up. Imagine a whole evening devoted to, say, piano music, with no more for months on end (how I wish!). Indeed Rob Cowan is one sympathetic presenter and often slips something in. Last week Alistair Appleton even said something along the lines of not much organ music is played on the Sunday breakfast show as it might be a bit loud at that time of the morning but said he would play Gigout's Scherzo for a change. Pity we don't swear on this board. I agree with handsoff, my CD collection gives me great satisfaction and I've given up on the BBC.

When I organised my Carlo Curley concert last year at Alexandra Palace Theatre, I found BBC Radio 3 very supportive. and they agreed to interview Carlo live, which produced much valuable free publicity for the concert, so I can only speak as I find.

Admittedly they did not offer to record the concert, but perhaps next time !

Colin Richell.