Setting: Wood in D

Hymns: 336, 392, 52, 413, 427, 394

Psalm: 46

Choir Anthem: There shall a star from Jacob come forth [Mendelssohn]

Organ Voluntary: Fantasia and Fugue on BACH [Liszt] [played by Claire Alsop]

Organists: Graham Alsop, Claire Alsop

Master of the Choristers: Andrew Kirk

Preacher: Revd. Dr. Simon Taylor

Hymns 413 & 427 (the latter opening with a Fanfare) were sung during a procession of congregation, choir and clergy around the church. From a congregation that was, by my estimation, around 90 - 100 people, only about 5 stayed in their seats. The procession ended by the organ console where choir and congregation assembled in the North transept. After the end of Hymn 427 prayers were said and the organ was blessed.

After the playing of the Liszt by Claire Alsop - which was met with applause from the congregation and choir - the organ was turned off by Moira Benson, widdow of Garth Benson who was a previous organist of the church. She said: "We've made a deal. I have turned it off and I will turn it back on in 2010!"

A good and well-attended service.

Dave

Guest Echo Gamba

What are SMR using while the H&H is down?

As a 10 year old schoolboy just moved to Bristol 1966, I was exhorted by the organist of the nonconformist church where my father was minister, to "Go to Redcliffe and hear Garth Benson" I duly prevailed upon my mother the following week to abandon my father for his Sunday evening service and take me to evensong at Redcliffe.......only to find the organ silent and Garth accompanying on a grand piano! (I can find no reference on NPOR for major work at that time, so it may have been a breakdown of some sort......)

Echo Gamba - I'm pleased someone else has mentioned the "here" link, as I didn't like to show my ignorance by admitting that I couldn't do it. Please can someone who knows please tell us, assuming it's not too complicated that is and doesn't take up too much space on the board. Many thanks.

Guest Patrick Coleman

Type 'here'; highlight it; press the button with the little green + on it (fifth from the right) and insert the link. It helps to have copied the whole thing from the address bar of your browser before starting to type your message, as going back to the page you want to link in to occasionally means that you lose your reply box and have to start all over again!

Guest Echo Gamba
Type 'here'; highlight it; press the button with the little green + on it (fifth from the right) and insert the link. It helps to have copied the whole thing from the address bar of your browser before starting to type your message, as going back to the page you want to link in to occasionally means that you lose your reply box and have to start all over again!

Thank you Patrick! I edited my post using these instructions, but the link didn't work! :( I have therefore put it back as it was, and it works! :P

Guest Patrick Coleman
Thank you Patrick! I edited my post using these instructions, but the link didn't work! :( I have therefore put it back as it was, and it works! :P

Did you make sure the full link appeared in the box (including http://)?

Guest Echo Gamba
Did you make sure the full link appeared in the box (including http://)?

Yes. http:// was already in the box when I pressed the green+ button. I took this out and pasted the whole URL in.

Guest Echo Gamba
Thanks for posting this - it's my local BBC regional news but I missed it!

Alastair

I found it here under "Audio/Video Links. Useful site if you don't know it.

Guest Echo Gamba
Many thanks to Patrick for the very useful bit of tuition above regarding "here". I now feel slightly less computer-illiterate. Now all I need to do is learn how to do similar things on e-mails!

Malcolm

Indeed - thank you Patrick! :P