Mander Organ Builders Forum

Liebster Jesu, Bwv 731

sbarber49

I couldn't understand why my pupil couldn't get the rhythm of bar 4 (of Bach's Liebster Jesu) right. Only when I looked closely did I discover that he WAS playing what it said (in NBA)! I have never heard it played like that and all the other copies I have (Novello, BG, Kevin Mayhew Funeral Album, Roger Davis's Tutor, this one http://icking-music-archive.org/scores/bac...ral_BWV731.pdf) have the version I'm used to.

Has anyone changed the way they play this bar to the NBA version? I presume it is a correction of a misreading. Are there any other editions that have the NBA reading?

It's bar 4, 2nd crotchet beat. NBA has: quaver tied to a demisemiquaver, followed by 4 hemidemisemiquavers and a demisemiquaver.

BG, Novello etc. have quaver tied to 2 demisemiquavers followed by 4 hemidemisemiquavers.

Stephen Barber

I couldn't understand why my pupil couldn't get the rhythm of bar 4 (of Bach's Liebster Jesu) right. Only when I looked closely did I discover that he WAS playing what it said (in NBA)!

John Sloboda in "The Musical Mind" quotes Boris Godovsky about a pupil with poor sight-reading skills who had prepared Brahms Capriccio op 76 no 2. He stopped her when she played a "wrong" chord but she insisted that she had played what she had written, and on careful checking it was found that she had done just that - there was a misprint in the music (a missing sharp). The error had appeared in many editions and when Godovsky asked many good sightreaders to play the piece. All of them played what Brahms had intended, and not what was written because they had expected a chord with the relevant note sharpened and didn't notice that the accidental hadn't been printed.

Many people who use Sibelius primarily for its type-setting facilities have criticised the provision of play-back facilities as irrelevant to the needs of a "real" musician, but it has the virtue of playing back exactly what has been written, which is not always what the writer thought that they had written.

I've always played this one from NBA so what I saw in your link looked/sounded wrong to me! You can probably get hold of a facsimile of the autograph (if there is one) to look at if interested - I once did some work on some Orgelbuchlein chorales in this way.

I couldn't understand why my pupil couldn't get the rhythm of bar 4 (of Bach's Liebster Jesu) right. Only when I looked closely did I discover that he WAS playing what it said (in NBA)! I have never heard it played like that and all the other copies I have (Novello, BG, Kevin Mayhew Funeral Album, Roger Davis's Tutor, this one http://icking-music-archive.org/scores/bac...ral_BWV731.pdf) have the version I'm used to.

Has anyone changed the way they play this bar to the NBA version? I presume it is a correction of a misreading. Are there any other editions that have the NBA reading?

It's bar 4, 2nd crotchet beat. NBA has: quaver tied to a demisemiquaver, followed by 4 hemidemisemiquavers and a demisemiquaver.

BG, Novello etc. have quaver tied to 2 demisemiquavers followed by 4 hemidemisemiquavers.

Stephen Barber

I have always played it as printed in the NBA version. It seemed to lose something when I played it the way it is shown in your link.

JC