Mander Organ Builders Forum

Bbc Choral Evensong

Clavecin

Hang on a minute, in the excellent booklet notes to the latest Latry CD from there, they already have:

Skinner (1938) with

-Great Division

-Swell Division

-Swell String Division

-Choir Division

-Solo Division

-Pedal Division

Musician's Gallery Divisions, Skinner (1963)

-Brustwerk

-Positiv

-Pedal

What will 'another' organ add?

Yes, it does appear that the new Dobson will replace the 1938 Skinner but incorporating some of its pipework.

BTW, if anyone knows this organ, what does the 'Pedal Keyboard Elevator (Raise/Lower)' dp?

• 2 months later...
Anyone hear the broadcast from Worcester last week, still availble on BBC I-Player http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00js8l4 for the next four days. The organ part to Stanford in B flat was unusual and I assume a realisation of the orchestral version of the setting. The broadcast gave a good hearing of the new Tickell organ.

I missed it, but I do usually cue in the opening theme of the Magnificat at the end of the Gloria on some sort of party horn...

Is this what you were referring to or is there more?

Guest Roffensis
I missed it, but I do usually cue in the opening theme of the Magnificat at the end of the Gloria on some sort of party horn...

Is this what you were referring to or is there more?

I heard it, the organ sounded magnificent, a lot of colour, subtlety and musicality. Even a "Frenchy" nod towards to the old job, particularly the swell. I have to eat my words and say it quite bowled me over, and quite frankly from what I heard a drastic improvement on what was. All may not agree, but that's my opinion, having eat a very sizeable portion of humble pie!!

R

Anyone hear the broadcast from Worcester last week, still availble on BBC I-Player http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00js8l4 for the next four days. The organ part to Stanford in B flat was unusual and I assume a realisation of the orchestral version of the setting. The broadcast gave a good hearing of the new Tickell organ.

It could be bad memory here, but I thought I recalled reading somewhere that Adrian had made an edition of more or less what you describe, an organ reduction of the orchestral version. It couldn't remember which piece it was, but this seems to fit the bill.

Guest Roffensis
It could be bad memory here, but I thought I recalled reading somewhere that Adrian had made an edition of more or less what you describe, an organ reduction of the orchestral version. It couldn't remember which piece it was, but this seems to fit the bill.

It was a brilliant broadcast, the Psalms were great too. :(

R

So glad you all enjoyed the broadcast! Adrian transcribed the Stanford a couple of years ago from the full orchestral version. There's quite a lot more in it, including the big trumpet moment at the end of the Mag gloria, but also lots of fluty quavers and pizzicato pedals. Look forward to seeing Roffensis at Evensong soon? The Tickell sounds even better in the flesh than on Radio 3!

This was mentioned in an old edition of Organists Review, maybe a year ago. After seeing it mentioned i contacted Adrian, and for a nominal fee (I think it was £3 inc p&p) he very kindly sent a copy to me, which has gone down a storm at my church (and saved me being reduced to boredom-induced tears:P)

Guest Roffensis
So glad you all enjoyed the broadcast! Adrian transcribed the Stanford a couple of years ago from the full orchestral version. There's quite a lot more in it, including the big trumpet moment at the end of the Mag gloria, but also lots of fluty quavers and pizzicato pedals. Look forward to seeing Roffensis at Evensong soon? The Tickell sounds even better in the flesh than on Radio 3!

Thanks, yes I intend to darken the door of Worcester Cathedral before very long.

R

I am glad someone raised this point, I thought I was hearing things!!!

It was vaguely reminiscent of Stan. in G.

With that outstanding quality of singing is it not time that the BBC looked elsewhere for the Service of Nine Lessons and Carols?