Mander Organ Builders Forum

Songs Of Praise Today

OmegaConsort

Ulp... Beverley Minster!!! :P

But whatever the Minster, it would be very refreshing to hear some different hymns.... If you hear a loud scream emanating from the North Wales Coastal Area, you will know that we have had another repeat of "To God be the glory....!"

Ulp... Beverley Minster!!! :P

But whatever the Minster, it would be very refreshing to hear some different hymns.... If you hear a loud scream emanating from the North Wales Coastal Area, you will know that we have had another repeat of "To God be the glory....!"

I wonder whether the limited hymn repertoire might have something to do with copyright?

I have noted on many programmes (not just the BBC) that the same music seems to be repeated over and over again, (think of Vaughn Williams 'The Lark Ascending' and the Widor Toccata on Classic FM).

I realise that this has a lot to do with the programme makers perceived ideas about listener preference, but I have also heard that broadcasters buy a licence to perform/play certain music, which is why we hear the same music repeated, especially during the working week.

In the case of SoP, they also need to copy the words to provide screen subtitles, which presumably also requires some form of licence?

Does anyone know anything about this?

I wonder whether the limited hymn repertoire might have something to do with copyright?

I have noted on many programmes (not just the BBC) that the same music seems to be repeated over and over again, (think of Vaughn Williams 'The Lark Ascending' and the Widor Toccata on Classic FM).

I realise that this has a lot to do with the programme makers perceived ideas about listener preference, but I have also heard that broadcasters buy a licence to perform/play certain music, which is why we hear the same music repeated, especially during the working week.

In the case of SoP, they also need to copy the words to provide screen subtitles, which presumably also requires some form of licence?

Does anyone know anything about this?

Hi

Normally, the license fee is payable per playing of a given track, so that's not the issue. Performing rights might be part of it where material is repeated in more than one prog. Personally though, I suspect the "playlist" mentality - especially prevelant in ("popular" music radio) where a limited number of tracks which are deemed to be popular, or which the producer/record company wants to plug, are played in virtually endless rotation - i.e. the output of most of the Independent radio stations in the UK. Someone has decided what they think the public wants (quite possibly based on results of the various "Top Ten Hymns" polls that the BBC have done in recent years, and stick mainly to that limited list. These days, radio and TV is more about keeping the audience than actually challenging them to think!

Every Blessing

Tony

Some friends of mine who are members of Brighton Festival Chorus told me they were at the RAH on Sunday 12th September to take part i the recording of two SOP programmes. One of these programmes was for broadcast on Sunday 26th December and they had been told to dress accordingly!.

Malcolm

Personally though, I suspect the "playlist" mentality - especially prevelant in ("popular" music radio) where a limited number of tracks which are deemed to be popular, or which the producer/record company wants to plug, are played in virtually endless rotation - i.e. the output of most of the Independent radio stations in the UK. Someone has decided what they think the public wants (quite possibly based on results of the various "Top Ten Hymns" polls that the BBC have done in recent years, and stick mainly to that limited list. These days, radio and TV is more about keeping the audience than actually challenging them to think!

Every Blessing

Tony

Our clergy seem to do the opposite to this: they like to choose hymns that nobody knows or likes, and nobody but the clergy can sing, (and even they struggle sometimes). The only exception is baptism services, where they like happy-clappy hymns played on the piano so that the un-churhed don't feel out of their depth. :mellow:

Some years ago the Vestry decided to ask the congregation whch hymns they liked singing, and a list of some seventy or so hymns was compiled, but the clergy refused to use them.

Next week we have a PCC meeting to discuss whether 'Back to Church Sunday' was a success. I know already that the hymns won't have been! :angry:

Some friends of mine who are members of Brighton Festival Chorus told me they were at the RAH on Sunday 12th September to take part i the recording of two SOP programmes. One of these programmes was for broadcast on Sunday 26th December and they had been told to dress accordingly!.

Malcolm

==============

Most of the organists and singers I know usually resemble Les Patterson (the Australian Cutural Attache), on December 26th. :mellow:

I'm looking forward to that particular S of P.

MM

• 1 month later...
From Songs of Praise

GOOD LORD DELIVER US

:)

It was dreadful. Apart from the compere, whom I just find rather irritating, the musical standard of the hymn singing was dire with no sense of phrasing or forward movement. This was particularly obvious in "To God be the Glory" where the first beat of every bar was thumped out and each bar seemed totally divorced from those either side of it. Perhaps tonight's conductor should stick to organ playing. Whatever style of hymn you are singing at least try to do it well.

Malcolm

• 4 weeks later...

I thought the hymn-singing in Sunday's programme for Remembrance was good and definitely among the better efforts from SOP. I have to confess I skipped through the rest of the programme and only watched the hymns. 'Abide with me' in particular I thought was well done, especially the last verse.

I agree - I thought the programme from Folkestone was the best for a very long time even if we did have to endure Ms Jenkins singing one item. The programme did not appear "contrived" like most of them do and it felt like a real church congregation with a real church choir in a real church. Let's have more of these - preferably presented by the lovely Hayley for a change!

Malcolm

Didn't think the band and the organ were as together as they could have been.

Well the speeds didn't help, did they? I thought "For all the saints" sounded positively breathless; the congregation were clearly having difficulty snatching their breaths in time. They sang well, but I couldn't help feeling a little more spaciousness might have helped them sing out even more. But then, I have a thing about fast hymns. However, I agree with Malcolm that it was nice to get the feel of a proper service.