Mander Organ Builders Forum

Jeremy Filsell - Vierne At St. Ouen

Jonathan Thorne

Dear people.

I've just discovered am exciting release from the Signum label of Jeremy Filsell playing the complete Symphonies of L Vierne (http://www.jeremyfilsell.com/index.php?page=vierne-symphonies). But when I did some more research I discovered that it had been replicated by Brilliant Classics (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vierne-Organ-Symphonies-Complete/dp/B000WC387I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1233279299&sr=8-3). Surely, I thought - that this is the same recording - after all Vierne only wrote 6 and a half Symphony's (six only survive) and I was wondering how Brilliant Classics managed to get hold of the release. Any ideas?

:lol:

Dear people.

I've just discovered am exciting release from the Signum label of Jeremy Filsell playing the complete Symphonies of L Vierne (http://www.jeremyfilsell.com/index.php?page=vierne-symphonies). But when I did some more research I discovered that it had been replicated by Brilliant Classics (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vierne-Organ-Symphonies-Complete/dp/B000WC387I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1233279299&sr=8-3). Surely, I thought - that this is the same recording - after all Vierne only wrote 6 and a half Symphony's (six only survive) and I was wondering how Brilliant Classics managed to get hold of the release. Any ideas?

:lol:

I got this as a present a couple of years ago, when only on the Signum label, one of my favourite discs. Does the Brilliant recording say where it is from? I can't imagine Jeremy doing two complete cycles. The Signum regularly appears on ebay as well, I recomended a friend buy it only a couple of weeks ago from there.

It is the same recording from St.Ouen on both labels. I assume that Brilliant buy the rights after a certain period and re-release the discs at a budget price. Rather like a paperback book coming out some time after the hardback but printed by Penguin instead of the original publisher.

I bought the Brilliant discs for £6.50 last year and play them very frequently. The ending of the Final from Symphonie 1 is almost beyond description but the whole set is quite superb and better, IMHO, than Pierre Cochereau's recording from ND de P.

P

I bought the Brilliant discs for £6.50 last year and play them very frequently. The ending of the Final from Symphonie 1 is almost beyond description but the whole set is quite superb and better, IMHO, than Pierre Cochereau's recording from ND de P.

P

It is true that Cochereau took some liberties with the symphonies on his later recordings (together with a number of misreadings); however, the recording of the Deuxième Symphonie, recorded shortly after his appointment stands easily with many other versions (although I have yet to hear the recording by Filsell).

For the record, I prefer his (later) recording of the Troisième Symphonie to that of Marie-Claire Alain (recorded) at S. Etienne, Caen). His rhythm and articulation in the Scherzo is better and there is a greater sense of architecture, excitement and clarity in the Final.

It is true that Cochereau took some liberties with the symphonies on his later recordings (together with a number of misreadings); however, the recording of the Deuxième Symphonie, recorded shortly after his appointment stands easily with many other versions (although I have yet to hear the recording by Filsell).

For the record, I prefer his (later) recording of the Troisième Symphonie to that of Marie-Claire Alain (recorded) at S. Etienne, Caen). His rhythm and articulation in the Scherzo is better and there is a greater sense of architecture, excitement and clarity in the Final.

I should have said that I have the 3 disc set recorded in 1975/76. The sound is thrilling throughout but I do get the feeling on occasions that PC was not fully happy playing the written works of others; his unique talent meant that he somehow wanted to inject perhaps a little more of himself into the music than other performers. I certainly more enjoy hearing his recorded improvisations.

I find that the JF recording, taking the 6 symphonies as a single entity, is more satisfying with the sound being possibly more as Vierne envisaged.

Anyhoo, must get off to Worcester!

P

...Anyhoo, must get off to Worcester!

We'll race you... :D

To stay on topic (sorry!) I have the Filsell Vierne and it's stunning, organ, space, player, price. It's very cheap (about £6?) from HMV. You can't afford not to buy it IMHO!