Mander Organ Builders Forum

Roy Massey

Shropshire Lad

When he retired he moved to Tewkesbury and helped out at the Abbey, including if memory serves me right, doing some of the recitals in their complete Bach project a few years ago. I met him a few times in and around the Glos/Worcs area (he even came to hear me play once!) and as far as I know, still lives there.

Does anyone know what Dr Massey is up to these days? He doesn't seem to do many recitals and I certainly miss the opportunity of hearing him play.

His playing (when I last heard him, which wasn't long ago) is absolutely fine. I gather he has recurring trouble with Tennis Elbow, and if he is playing less than supporters would like, it's probably because this causes some discomfort. He still plays one of the very best Bach D majors and Healy Willan Passacaglias I've ever heard.

• 3 months later...

And, as if someone from upstairs and the outside world was watching our forum, an article and advert for the man himself in the new OR.

Perhaps if we drop some other subtle hints about people/articles we'd like to see, they might also magically appear..........

Guest Cynic
And, as if someone from upstairs and the outside world was watching our forum, an article and advert for the man himself in the new OR.

Perhaps if we drop some other subtle hints about people/articles we'd like to see, they might also magically appear..........

Half a loaf is better than none, but I had the strangest feeling upon reading the single page we had (calling itself 'an interview'!) in OR that there were a couple of pages more that we didn't get to see. Knowing RM a bit - he's a wonderful raconteur - I could definitely have done with reading those (possible) supplementary pages. Anyone else find this an 'odd' article as it stands?

Half a loaf is better than none, but I had the strangest feeling upon reading the single page we had (calling itself 'an interview'!) in OR that there were a couple of pages more that we didn't get to see. Knowing RM a bit - he's a wonderful raconteur - I could definitely have done with reading those (possible) supplementary pages. Anyone else find this an 'odd' article as it stands?

The editor did write at the start that she did not altogether get all she wanted in this issue!!!

A

The RSCM Cathedral Singers were having a Saturday in Tewkesbury a couple of years ago, a couple of the men were walking through the abbey grounds carrying cassocks and bumped into a man walking his dog. The conversation, as reported to me, went like this:-

- oh hello, are you here with a visiting choir today

- yes

- oh thats nice which choir is it

- RSCM cathedral singers, do you sing yourself

- not really but I used to play the organ a bit

- oh really, where was that

- Hereford Cathedral

He opened the new organ in St Marys Bridgnorth 2 weeks ago, I have heard he played brilliantly and held the congregation in their seats. Long may he continue to enthrall audiences.

...and he's at St Chad's Cathedral, Birmingham on Wednesday 24th June at 7.30pm. (- for just a fiver too!)

P.

...and he's at St Chad's Cathedral, Birmingham on Wednesday 24th June at 7.30pm. (- for just a fiver too!)

P.

Excellent. See you there; Mrs Handsoff may even come too....

And sorry for hijacking this thread, but as we are talking "distinguished" organists, has anyone heard anything about "the doctor" (Francis Jackson)

Peter

Absolutely: he's playing at St. Michael's, Tenbury on Sunday at 3pm-ish and (and now here's a warning that we'll almost certainly hear from at least one other 'member' of this list following the mention of this) at Ally Pally later in June. He appears to be in rude health, as ever.

DW

Absolutely: he's playing at St. Michael's, Tenbury on Sunday at 3pm-ish and (and now here's a warning that we'll almost certainly hear from at least one other 'member' of this list following the mention of this) at Ally Pally later in June. He appears to be in rude health, as ever.

DW

I suppose he will be doing his annual minster recital up here in york too, hope for us all then. And I know he is sorting out a new CD, with his local recording engineer

Peter

About Doctor "FJ": he is scheduled for at least seven organ recitals, according to www.organrecitals.com:

- 8 May: St George's, Gateshead

- 30 May: St Giles, Lincoln

- 6 June: Rochdale Parish Church

- 12 June: St Helen's, Stonegate, York

- 12 July: Alexandra Palace London

- 30 July: York Central Methodist Church

- 15 August: York Minster Summer Recital

Isn't he amazing!

Gerco Schaap (NL)

Absolutely: he's playing at St. Michael's, Tenbury on Sunday at 3pm-ish

Just seen Dr. Jackson at Tenbury, and his playing still certainly sounded hugely adept and compelling. I think he needed a hand with the steps up to the organ console, but they're certainly not easy. As it happens, we were singing for the services there today, and as as one of the tenors pointed out, the long line of people waiting outside for the recital equated to the majority of the audience who didn't want to go to Evensong first. A pity.

I heard the second half of evensong at Tenbury. Magnificent singing, can you post more details on the Fountains singrs or do you have a website?

The lady vicar was excellent, one of the besty clergy speaking voices I have ever heard.

What happened in the last Vierne piece that caused FJ to stop part way through the piece, only to pick up from where he had stopped as though nothing had happened?

Good recital, well worth going to hear.

About Doctor "FJ": he is scheduled for at least seven organ recitals, according to www.organrecitals.com:

- 8 May: St George's, Gateshead

- 30 May: St Giles, Lincoln

- 6 June: Rochdale Parish Church

- 12 June: St Helen's, Stonegate, York

- 12 July: Alexandra Palace London

- 30 July: York Central Methodist Church

- 15 August: York Minster Summer Recital

Isn't he amazing!

Gerco Schaap (NL)

Good to hear that Dr Jackson will be performing at venues on the 30th May, 6th June, 12th June, 30th July and 15th August.

He will playing on fine well maintained organs, and such a distinguished performer deserves this.

I shall encourage my organ loving friends to support these concerts.

Colin Richell.

He will playing on fine well maintained organs, and such a distinguished performer deserves this.

I shall encourage my organ loving friends to support these concerts.

Colin Richell.

He Doesn't deserve THAT.

I'm sure he'll be thrilled!

(I refer honourable members to the reply I made earlier - post no. 16) :rolleyes: