Mander Organ Builders Forum

Roy Massey

Shropshire Lad

Am I the only one here who is sick and tired of this bickering? It is most discourteous to Manders who so generously host this forum. Kindly settle your differences elswhere rather than making the rest of us feel uncomfortable.

JC

No you are not John. I got "told off" by Mr Mander for something far less annoying than this....

I have no axe to grind with either party, but like you, I find this hijacking of the forum discourteous too.

I can't see how posts like that (from either party) can be of any interest whatsover to any of the members.

I will of couse stand corrected if others do find it useful and interesting.

Best wishes

Richard

Guest Cynic
No you are not John. I got "told off" by Mr Mander for something far less annoying than this....

I have no axe to grind with either party, but like you, I find this hijacking of the forum discourteous too.

I can't see how posts like that (from either party) can be of any interest whatsover to any of the members.

I will of couse stand corrected if others do find it useful and interesting.

Best wishes

Richard

If one reads back through various posts under a variety of official topic headings, one of the two gentlemen involved has written about hardly anything else but this personal antipathy.

The other has been a consistently helpful and positive voice in the forum. I would be very sorry to lose his contributions.

If one reads back through various posts under a variety of official topic headings, one of the two gentlemen involved has written about hardly anything else but this personal antipathy.

The other has been a consistently helpful and positive voice in the forum. I would be very sorry to lose his contributions.

I completely agree with you, Paul. You have expressed it much better than I did in the heat of the moment. I believe strong, sometimes opposing, views and witty banter are part of the success of this forum, but not personal animosity.

JC

Returning to the subject, Roy Massey gave a splendid recital last night in Hereford Cathedral in a programme that made no concession to his just passing his 75th birthday in music by Hollins (Concert Overture in Cmin) , Bach (D maj P & F), Arrangements of 16c dances, Mozart (K608), Bertalot (Variations for pedals on Hanover), Jongen (Chant de Mai), and Liszt (BACH). Large screen projection meant that we had ot sit in the nave as there were no seats in the best position in the north transept. Organ sounded magnificent. There was also lovely Evensong beforehand - Sumsion in G and Hadley (My beloved spake). Well worth the very slow winding journey from here.

Thank you for articulating that Paul - I couldn't agree more, and would encourage the latter member to continue his informative postings which are never without interest - at least for me.

S

Returning to the subject, Roy Massey gave a splendid recital last night in Hereford Cathedral in a programme that made no concession to his just passing his 75th birthday in music by Hollins (Concert Overture in Cmin) , Bach (D maj P & F), Arrangements of 16c dances, Mozart (K608), Bertalot (Variations for pedals on Hanover), Jongen (Chant de Mai), and Liszt (BACH). Large screen projection meant that we had ot sit in the nave as there were no seats in the best position in the north transept. Organ sounded magnificent. There was also lovely Evensong beforehand - Sumsion in G and Hadley (My beloved spake). Well worth the very slow winding journey from here.

What was the Bertalot like? I haven't come across it before?

• 2 weeks later...
I heard the second half of evensong at Tenbury. Magnificent singing, can you post more details on the Fountains singrs or do you have a website?

The lady vicar was excellent, one of the besty clergy speaking voices I have ever heard.

What happened in the last Vierne piece that caused FJ to stop part way through the piece, only to pick up from where he had stopped as though nothing had happened?

Good recital, well worth going to hear.

Thanks PBJ. www.thefountainsingers.co.uk Sadly I had 250 miles to drive following evensong, so I had to miss the recital - I heard FJ practising after the morning Eucharist though, and it sounded excellent. The organ there is crying out for a complete restoration, but the church did very well to meet the costs of building conservation, and I don't think they can afford significant organ work.

Thank you for the link to the website.

Whilst I was only there for the second half of the service I still felt as though I had been to something special, not just "another evensong".

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know what Dr Massey is up to these days? He doesn't seem to do many recitals and I certainly miss the opportunity of hearing him play.

I remember listening to him play on numerous occaisions - a consumate master. The choir I sang with used to deputise at Hereford, and what a joy it was to sing there with him in control - I have to say he was head and shoulders above most people when it came to pointing psalms - just had THE knack!

It always seemed that, whenever Radio 3 broadcast Choral Evensong from Hereford, there would be a minimum of 10 minutes worth of psalms.

It was the then Precentor's instruction (and may still be now) at Hereford that the appointed psalms for the day are sung in their entirety.

Members may like to come along to St. Chad's Cathedral Birmingham nest Wednesday and hear Roy in person. 19.30 hours start £5 on the door. J

What a splendid recital (and organ) it was too, which was enjoyed by the disappointingly small audience...

The programme included Anon (arr. Massey), Bach, Mendelssohn, Howells and Guilmant, demonstrating both Roy's mastery of the instrument and the wonderful colours of the Walker organ. It's a shame that it isn't heard more often. I hadn't seen Roy for years, the last time being when he turned pages for me at St Agatha's, Sparkbrook. Not quite so grand as it may sound as my DoM of the time is a lifelong friend of Roy's and we, as a visiting choir, sang CE there and he came along. The arrangement was that I would start an improvisation based on the final hymn for the voluntary and Roy would take over after a short time. Mmmm, I learned a lot that night! He hasn't changed a bit in the intervening years and I hope that I can play like that when I'm 75. Who am I kidding :( ?

This was Mrs H's second recital in recent months and she is now positively looking forward to David Briggs at Hereford.

P