Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organ Building Through The Credit Crunch

William

... but I think anyone would be pushed to listen to ... Russell ... and the like in large doses.

If you have to give one of your list a go, Russell is the one. There is some really good music in here and such variety. It is the link between Stanley and Medelssohn and he is much underrated. There is a complete double CD on its way into the market on Delphian, recorded in one of the East London churches, I think. I don't have much recorded from this period in my collection, but this will certainly be joining it.

Much of Russells music came to more prominent attention when a relative by marriage of his (whose name currently escapes me) did some research on him. I believe she is still alive and I corresponded very briefly with her as a student over some of Russells vocal compositions, which sadly, are not in the same league.

Much of Russells music came to more prominent attention when a relative by marriage of his (whose name currently escapes me) did some research on him. I believe she is still alive and I corresponded very briefly with her as a student over some of Russells vocal compositions, which sadly, are not in the same league.

Gillian Ward Russell?

JJK

http://www.gillianwardrussell.com/

Her Biog page on the site also contains:

An ancestor, the early 19th century composer William Russell, has always interested Gillian. The study of his life and works earned her a Doctorate from Leicester University. She has produced a facsimile edition of his complete organ works and broadcast on BBC Radio 3 a lecture recital about his music. She has also written a three-movement 'Voluntary in E minor and major' as a tribute to William Russell.

Yep, that's the one. I think she lives/lived somewhere in the Midlands.

hi

Gillian Ward Russel used to live in Essex, and as far as I know still does - she was for a while organist at a church where a friend of mine was vicar.

Every Blessing

Tony

If you have to give one of your list a go, Russell is the one. There is some really good music in here and such variety. It is the link between Stanley and Medelssohn and he is much underrated. There is a complete double CD on its way into the market on Delphian, recorded in one of the East London churches, I think. I don't have much recorded from this period in my collection, but this will certainly be joining it.

And right on cue, here it is. And a jolly good player as well.