Mander Organ Builders Forum

Book On Bach's Registration

Malcolm Kemp

In the new Organists' Review there is a review by John Henderson of a book by Quentin Faulkner entitled "The Registration of J S Bach's Organ Works". Has anyone got and read this book and is it worth getting?

This must be a very contentious subject and one hopes that anyone using the book will not forget also to use their ears!

I can well imagine that Pierre will have something to say about it but I would welcome comments from others as well. £54 seems a lot to be paying for 123 pages.

Malcolm

Was it written years ago?

I remember coming across a battered, cloth bound book on this subject a couple of years ago in a second-hand bookshop in Hay-on-Wye. I was going to buy it but saw that it was £11 so decided not to. Perhaps I should have!

It was probably the same one but like I say, it looked ancient.

Edit - sorry - ignore me! if they are only just reviewing it then it must be new. * tiptoes out*

Was it written years ago?

I remember coming across a battered, cloth bound book on this subject a couple of years ago in a second-hand bookshop in Hay-on-Wye. I was going to buy it but saw that it was £11 so decided not to. Perhaps I should have!

It was probably the same one but like I say, it looked ancient.

Edit - sorry - ignore me! if they are only just reviewing it then it must be new. * tiptoes out*

That was possibly 'The Registration of J.S.Bach's organ Works' by Thomas harmon (c 1971 published 1978 by Fritz Knuf).Its a good staring point (stemming from a PhD dissertation) covering the organs of the period, Bach's own instruments, contemporary writings on registrational practices & Bach's own registrational indications - running out at 300+ pages.