Mander Organ Builders Forum

Tewkesbury Abbey Organs

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

As I have not yet been removed by Mr Mander (at my request), I can draw attention to the glorious glossy new publication describing the history of the 3 organs - "Milton", "Grove" and Elliot by Nick Plumley. It is designed for the tourist, but it goes far beyond that and should be purchased if just of the photographs alone should you can't read! For those that can, the history is greatly illuminating and the book delves too into the personal as well as the material side of how this great church came to be so endowed. You are urged!

The launch is on Saturday 21st February with the organs being played and the author talking - but not simultaneously. It will be mid-morning.

For ordering:

The Friends of Tewkesbury Abbey

Abbey Office, Church Street

Tewkesbury GL20 5 RZ

friends@tewkesburyabbey.org.uk

www.tewkesburyabbey.org.uk

All the best,

Nigel

I'm very sorry to hear that you're leaving us Nigel; I have much enjoyed your contributions.

I shall certainly go across to Tewkesbury on the 21st and buy myself a birthday present (for 'tis on that day...) and will be very much looking forward to hearing the Grove Organ once again.

P

Guest Patrick Coleman
As I have not yet been removed by Mr Mander (at my request),

All the best,

Nigel

I also very much regret your leaving. I learn a great deal from reading this forum, and your posts have been among those that have taught me the most.

I also regret Nigel's leaving this Board. Before I joined he was, a couple of years ago, very helpful in trying (albeit unsuccessfully) to locate for me copies of the books that accompany his Cds on improvisation. Obviously we have a wide range of knowledge, expertise, abilities and iterests on this forum and Nigel is widely acknowledged as someone with a lot of professional knowledge and expertise which he is happy to share with others.

We don't know why he is leaving and it is none of our business. However, I am mindful of previous postings on other topics referring to other members who have found it necessary to leave or change their identities. This is sad but, I suspect, inevitable in the age of the www.

Malcolm,

In response to my request, the Steward at Tewkesbury Abbey has kindly sent me a notice which I paste below.

Saturday 21st February 2009, 10.45 a.m.

“Tewkesbury Abbey: the Abbey Organs”

The launch of the latest Friends’ guidebook, Tewkesbury Abbey: the Abbey Organs, will take place in the Quire of the Abbey on Saturday, 21st February at10.45 a.m. After a photography session with the Press, the main event will be an organ recital by the Abbey organist, Carleton Etherington, commencing at 11.00 a.m. He will play pieces on the Milton, Grove and Elliot organs, punctuated by short talks by the guidebook’s author, Nicholas Plumley. The recital programme will be available nearer the time. After the recital, the author will be pleased to sign copies of the guidebook, which will be available for sale @ £6.00 on the morning or in advance. The event will finish by 12.45 p.m. and is open to everyone without charge.

Nicholas Plumley MA, FSA, FRSA, is a distinguished authority on the history of British organs and a designer of organ cases. His publications include books on The Organs of the City of London (1996) and The Organs of St Paul’s Cathedral (2001). His new guidebook on The Abbey Organs is a major addition to the literature about Tewkesbury Abbey.

I am also sorry that you are leaving us, Nigel. Perhaps you might re-join in the future? I shall miss your clear statements of facts - particularly those relating to French organs.

Absolutely.

Surely this is a mistake?

• 2 weeks later...

This was a lovely occasion and the new book will be of great interest to anyone wishing to learn about the history of the three organs in this most beautiful and acoustically superb of buildings. It is available by post from the Abbey shop at £6.00 + P & P for anyone not able to visit in person.

All of the organs were demonstrated to great effect by Carleton Etherington and it was especially exciting to hear the Grove Organ. The sound, from the Quire, was much better than one might have imagined and the pieces played well demonstrated the exceptional voicing of the instrument. The tuba is a sound to glad the heart, as are the strings and Pedal 16' reed. The Elliot organ is a joy to hear; a first for me. The whole event has encouraged me to keep the appropriate weekend in November free for the annual organ extravaganza. Mrs Handsoff came along and I think that she may have been sufficiently impressed (if not quite warm enough) to try more recitals.

It was a pleasure to meet Nigel Allcoat again and to see Dennis O'Connor and friends once more. My thanks to Nigel for bringing this to our attention.

I wonder if a day at Tewkesbury similar to the recent event at Worcester Cathedral might be a possibility?

P