Mander Organ Builders Forum

Studies

passion_chorale

Relevant to, but not answering, this question, I have become increasingly dis-satisfied with the Sanger book (the one for people who already play the piano) as a tutor for new students. I am tempted to try the OUP book "Organ Technique, Modern and Early" by Ritchie and Stauffer for my next new student(s) as it is not so exclusively pre-Romantic. Do any members have experience of using this book or wish to recommend any others? I hasten to add that I don't just stick to a book; I use it alongside what I devise for the needs of each individual.

Malcolm

Ars organi by Flor himself. Did fine for me, all that tenor clef in the first few weeks, like a very cold bath on a hot day!

As for studies, I have found the little Briekopf book on pedal only pieces very useful for practising technique. Not sure I'm brave enough to use any of the pieces in a recital, particularly the pedal duet on the Blue Danube, as I don't know anyone small/friendly enough who could fit on the stool at the same time, and be competent on the pedals!

Relevant to, but not answering, this question, I have become increasingly dis-satisfied with the Sanger book (the one for people who already play the piano) as a tutor for new students. [snip] Do any members [snip] wish to recommend any others? ...

For those who have a proficient keyboard technique, I use The Organists' Manual: Technical Studies and Selected Compositions for the Organ by Roger E Davis (Norton 1985)

Hello, I'm just seeking advice about useful Organ music 'studies' for players in Grade 8 territory to help with technique. Any suggestions?

Many thanks, David.

Dupré Tombeau de Titelouze and then 24 Inventions are ideal. You must use his fingering and pedalling, however illogical seeming at first.

IFB