Mander Organ Builders Forum

Going Dutch

heva

The organ of St.Peter, Sarciston Durham is coming to the 'gereformeerde kerk' in Oud-Beijerland, picture

This church is now closed, and a for sale sign has been put up. This is sad end to a large ish "local parish church". My father was for a while, organist & choirmaster there, and still lives 2 miles down the road so I had to be in the choir ;) and I was born and raised in the village from 1960 - 65. The vicar at the time was a marvellous man called Frank Giles, who then went to Hook, in Surrey, before retiring to Bourton on the Water in the Cotswolds

I used to play hide and seek with the vicars daughter, Elizabeth, in the huge old vicarage

Regards

Peter

This trend isn't confined to the Netherlands - I have heard recently of several redundant English organs finding new homes in Germany.

Having read various threads on German boards similar to this, it seems the Germans are fast acquiring a taste not only for the English Romantic organ sound (the recently-issued Hauptwerk sample-set of a 1901 III/42 JJ Binns from Haverhill, Suffolk, has received rave reviews from several German organists), but increasingly also for English "cathedral" music: a parish in Düsseldorf and even Cologne Cathedral both now offer regular services billed as "Evensong".

Douglas.

I am very sorry that this organ has had to go to the Netherlands as it could so easily have been rehoused here. The firm for which I work has been looking for exactly such an instrument for over a year and for a glorious building in this area. Sadly, this instrument was never listed on the BIOS Redundant Organ list which is just about the only site of its kind. I am always surprised how few organs actually come up on this list. The building in question would be perfect for an instrument of this size and the funds are waiting for the right one. So if anyone reading this knows of a quality organ similar to this Harrison (Tracker action) for disposal please let it be known. I hope Mr Mander will forgive me if I appear to be "advertising", but it's really annoying to lose such a decent instrument.

This trend isn't confined to the Netherlands - I have heard recently of several redundant English organs finding new homes in Germany.

Having read various threads on German boards similar to this, it seems the Germans are fast acquiring a taste not only for the English Romantic organ sound (the recently-issued Hauptwerk sample-set of a 1901 III/42 JJ Binns from Haverhill, Suffolk, has received rave reviews from several German organists), but increasingly also for English "cathedral" music: a parish in Düsseldorf and even Cologne Cathedral both now offer regular services billed as "Evensong".

Douglas.

The same move is going in Belgium and France.

Pierre

Douglas.

Indeed - this is one reason why I suggested on another thread that British organ builders may not be too badly hit by the recession. The combination of a taste for our style of instrument in the euro zone plus an advantageous exchange rate should be very helpful.

The "best" example to date is the Hunter awaiting re-erection in Toulouse.

Of course there is a market for british builders in Europe, provided they

do not fear to "build british" -with a vengeance-. An excellent example is

what is happening in Firenze (IT).

The british car builders were more successfull with Triumph roadsters than

with Montegos. Which one was genuinly british ?

Which one had the least good competitors ?

Same with the organs. Neo-classic "repertoire-optimized" do-it-all-and-nothing

after-big-chief-X-registrations obtain already worldwide.

BUT -basics in Marketing- the "british vogue" would be even stronger if the

british themwelves weren't busy throwing their own heritage to the scrapyard

or E-Bay by the tons. Imagine the germans would sold BMWs and Porsches

on E-Bay for some EURO. Would the foreign dealers be able to charge so

much ?

Pierre

a parish in Düsseldorf and even Cologne Cathedral both now offer regular services billed as "Evensong".

In the 1980s (which is when I used to go there) Oslo Cathedral (DoM Terje Kvam) presented a regular quarterly Anglican Evensong - I've no idea if this continues. I recorded one, with Terje's permission, including Byrd Haec Dies, Leighton responses, Howells Coll Reg, Hadley My Beloved Spake, and some of the very best psalm chanting I've ever heard.

Paul

Guest Echo Gamba

This is apparently in Holland - anyone know where? (Vox? Dave? Mike? Ian? Paul?)

The photo on the survey is old - the console was latterly detached.

This is apparently in Holland - anyone know where? (Vox? Dave? Mike? Ian? Paul?)

The photo on the survey is old - the console was latterly detached.

Hi

1931 - all NPOR photos are dated. The survey (of a later date) records the detached console - and if anyone has pictures post-rebuild (jpeg <50kB), send them to the NPOR office - along with info regarding the fate of the organ.

Every Blessing

Tony