Mander Organ Builders Forum

Disappearing Organ Builders

Guest Hector5

Guest Hector5

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether Bernard Dargssies is still working as an organ builder? He appeared to vanish from the face of the organbuilders earth, and his website is no more. For those who might remember, he did the most recent work at St Clothilde, and had to field various criticisms over the work done.

Played for Mass at Meursault this AM - great fun, with a visiting priest, lost organ key, a nun having a meltdown, and the choir organist having left his rhythm stick at home! I also found out to my cost that the choir organist cannot read the bass clef and follows tonic sol-fa which made for some nervous and hilarious moments - and yes, I won!!!!!! Strangely, there wasn't much musical tat at all and I survived virtually unscathed. They were more nervous about the potential for things to wrong than I was. The poor nun had an apoplectic fit when told in the same breath that the cure was in hospital (he's diabetic and gastric flu is rife around here at present), and that the organist was English with a tenuous grasp of the French language. Unusually, the church was absolutely full, warm and welcoming, and everyone sang lustily - quite something for a French church!!

Hector

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether Bernard Dargssies is still working as an organ builder? He appeared to vanish from the face of the organbuilders earth, and his website is no more. For those who might remember, he did the most recent work at St Clothilde, and had to field various criticisms over the work done.

Hector

'Just back from Paris with the OC - played 'classical' at S. Gervaise and Langlais etc. at S. Clothilde (now vastly enlarged but with the Franck etc. stops still there to use) - 'had Notre Dame and S. Eustache to ourselves - plus their organists (Lefebvre at ND and the amazing Yanka Hakimova at SE). Incredible experiences!! The tour blurb seems to indicate Dargassies is still operating however - maybe our European contribuitors on here may know better?

A

This I found here:

2007 : reprise de l'entreprise de Rambervillers par Yann Michel et Sylviane Rochotte, le facteur d'orgues Dardassies conservant la partie parisienne de la société. (D'aprés l'Est Républicain du 26/08/2007).

Best,

Friedrich