Mander Organ Builders Forum

Wooden Pedal Reeds By British Builders

philip lowe

Does anyone know of recent examples produced in this country by Walker / Pennells & Sharp and how good they are? Am thinking of 16' Trombones or I suppose Fagots, and the like.

Any opinions and thoughts/information would be welcome

Philip Lowe

Manchester

(Previously posted in "Nuts & Bolts" Forum but little response!)

It's rather difficult to answer this question... these things are affected by so many factors - location, the nature of the organ they're in, how well they're finished and voiced, wind supply, etc - that determine how "good" they are.

Also, are you talking about commissioning a new organ by Walkers or just getting parts from P&S? People are naturally a little reticent to give their opinions on builders published in public to people seriously considering work because of the risk of defamation claims... the best thing to do is visit recent example of all contenders for the work and make up your own opinions.

It's rather difficult to answer this question... these things are affected by so many factors - location, the nature of the organ they're in, how well they're finished and voiced, wind supply, etc - that determine how "good" they are.

Also, are you talking about commissioning a new organ by Walkers or just getting parts from P&S? People are naturally a little reticent to give their opinions on builders published in public to people seriously considering work because of the risk of defamation claims... the best thing to do is visit recent example of all contenders for the work and make up your own opinions.

Thanks

Its knowing where recent examples exist so one can make ones mind up - the problem being they are a little thin on the ground!

I am in the North West. I presume the Bolton Town Hall Organ is probably the closest example nearby with such a stop.

Best Wishes

PL

In any case, it would now be impossible to commission anything from JWW Walker - the firm is, I believe, now defunct. The restoration part is being managed by Sebastian Meakin, based at Chippenham. The official JWWW website has been a cover page only for about three years.

See here for further details. I have not bothered to provide a link to their website - it is, quite literally, just a picture.

In any case, it would now be impossible to commission anything from JWW Walker - the firm is, I believe, now defunct. The restoration part is being managed by Sebastian Meakin, based at Chippenham. The official JWWW website has been a cover page only for about three years.

See here for further details. I have not bothered to provide a link to their website - it is, quite literally, just a picture.

You always put too many Ws in - is that ironic or accidental?

The name Walker may be no longer as we think of it, but then again my Volvo was built by - now, who is it at the moment?

I understand that Brandon are still doing new instruments, a couple in the USA in recent years.

I would be surprised if P&S made their own pipework and would expect it to come from one of the pipe supply houses such as Booths or Terry Shires. (Are Rogers still going?)