Mander Organ Builders Forum

Howlers

Guest Echo Gamba

And of course everyone must have come across Vidor's Tocatta (Tocatta often spelt in various ways, sometimes with Fugue added!) :rolleyes:

A little while ago I played as the retiring voluntary for a wedding, the grandly-named 'Wedding March, from "Mendelssohn" '. Must confess I didn't know of a piece of music called Mendelssohn.

Hmmm.... on the other hand, did you take a good look at the bride? It may not have been a mistake....

That's exactly what crossed my mind (but naturally I was too polite to say...! :rolleyes: )

A little while ago I played as the retiring voluntary for a wedding, the grandly-named 'Wedding March, from "Mendelssohn" '. Must confess I didn't know of a piece of music called Mendelssohn.

Surely it's only a matter of time before we encounter "Mandelson's Wedding March"?

This reminds me of a joke by Rory Bremner shortly after ClassicFM started, and when Henry Kelly was presenting a show on it. Bremner, speaking as if he was Kelly announced "That was Dvorak's New World Symphony, doesn't say who it was by!". :rolleyes:

Hi everybody

In the programme for last Sunday's service at my church, - in the hymn "For the fruits of his creation" the third line was printed as "for his 'gits' to ev'ry nation"

Jonathan.

This reminds me of a joke by Rory Bremner shortly after ClassicFM started, and when Henry Kelly was presenting a show on it. Bremner, speaking as if he was Kelly announced "That was Dvorak's New World Symphony, doesn't say who it was by!". :rolleyes:

One I heard over the weekend.

An announcement at a carol service went as follows: the third verse of this carol is as follows—”Enough for him whom cheribum worship night and day; A breastful of mild . . . .” I may have misheard the ranconteur, but I thought it was alleged to have occurred during a live TV broadcast. I have certainly come across a service sheet from a cathedral in the south of England which contained the words “Cheribum and seraphim”. . .

Enough already.

David Harrison

"Decani Cantoris Millenium Appeal £20,000 was raised fro the Choral Foundation. At 2:30pm a small ceremony will take place in the song school when a plague will be unveiled to thank the donors."

["News & Notes" section, Bristol Cathedral service sheet, 23rd November 2008]

:rolleyes::lol::lol:

Dave

Not exactly a mistake, although having found the hymn, I rather wished it had been:

I once had to play EH No. 3 at a wedding.

No, look it up; I am not giving the title here - this is a family board....

:lol:

Did you mean the bit about "the day of fear shall come"?

"In the middle of the night"? Clearly that bridegroom wasn't godless. (Obligatory Mendelssohn year reference.)

Not exactly a mistake, although having found the hymn, I rather wished it had been:

I once had to play EH No. 3 at a wedding.

No, look it up; I am not giving the title here - this is a family board....

There was something towards the front of A & M Revised which was equally open to misinterpretation. I forget the hymn number and the exact phrase but it included the words sick men and beds, plus another I completely forget.

I was much too young to understand why the older boys in the choir found it funny but laughed anyway...

One I heard over the weekend.

An announcement at a carol service went as follows: the third verse of this carol is as follows—”Enough for him whom cheribum worship night and day; A breastful of mild . . . .” I may have misheard the ranconteur, but I thought it was alleged to have occurred during a live TV broadcast. I have certainly come across a service sheet from a cathedral in the south of England which contained the words “Cheribum and seraphim”. . .

Enough already.

David Harrison

I heard sung (when recording):

Enough for him whom cherubim worship day and night;

A breast full of milk and a manger full of [look of horror from choirmaster as he realises where this might be going] ...er do you mind if we do that again?

There was something towards the front of A & M Revised which was equally open to misinterpretation. I forget the hymn number and the exact phrase but it included the words sick men and beds, plus another I completely forget.

I was much too young to understand why the older boys in the choir found it funny but laughed anyway...

Hi all

It's slightly off topic on this thread, but recently, a member of the congregation reading the intercessions, started to read the list of those needing prayers, who were ill, under the heading of those who had died.

Jonathan

Hi all

It's slightly off topic on this thread, but recently, a member of the congregation reading the intercessions, started to read the list of those needing prayers, who were ill, under the heading of those who had died.

Jonathan

It's many years ago that a local evangelical church had visitors from Czechoslovakia, so the minister prayed for everyone, black and white, and especially the Czechs.

It's many years ago that a local evangelical church had visitors from Czechoslovakia, so the minister prayed for everyone, black and white, and especially the Czechs.

Also some many years ago now, the Anglican cathedral in Melbourne had 'Sons of the Nuns of Chester' listed as a processional, instead of 'Song', not to mention a previous organist who surely deliberately chose Canticles by Brewer for an AA service.

...then there was the free church minister, who after a long spell of service on the mainland, returned to his previous pulpit on the Isle of Wight and greeted the congregation with,

"How lovely to see the old Cowes faces again..."

lol, what was the anthem, "The Spirit of the Lord" perhaps?

Brewer in D/The spirit of the Lord

Most apt choices! One imagines the psalm would have been 75; this particular psalm covers not only cocktails but cards, rugby, weight-training and maybe other activities that should not be discussed or even hinted at in these august pages.

I feel another thread coming on . . . .

David Harrison