Mander Organ Builders Forum

Help Please

tiratutti

Hello,

some time ago there was a thread about the restored organ of Southampton Guildhall.

I would like to know if the example 5 from the recordings is a written piece? And if so, were can I get a copy of this piece? I tried Peter Hammond but he could not help me. So I am trying my luck here and would appreciate any help.

Cheers

tiratutti

Hello,

some time ago there was a thread about the restored organ of Southampton Guildhall.

I would like to know if the example 5 from the recordings is a written piece? And if so, were can I get a copy of this piece? I tried Peter Hammond but he could not help me. So I am trying my luck here and would appreciate any help.

Cheers

tiratutti

Hmm ;)

Not I piece I've ever heard but it sounds curiously like, perhaps, William Harris?

DW

Hello,

Cheers

tiratutti

The piece to which your link sends me is a transcription of March of the Bowmen from the Robin Hood Suite (1936) by Frederic Curzon (1899-1973) a celebrated composer of light music who was at one time head of the light music department at Boosey & Hawkes. It was a popular item with theatre organists, and I have a recording of it by Gerald Shaw on the organ of the Odeon , Manchester which is now in Stockport Town Hall. The sleeve of this denotes Boosey & Hawkes as the copyright holders, presumably of the original orchestral version. I do not know of a published organ arrangement but hopefully the above information might help you in tracking down one if it exists.

Good luck

Brian Childs

The piece to which your link sends me is a transcription of March of the Bowmen from the Robin Hood Suite (1936) by Frederic Curzon (1899-1973) a celebrated composer of light music who was at one time head of the light music department at Boosey & Hawkes. It was a popular item with theatre organists, and I have a recording of it by Gerald Shaw on the organ of the Odeon , Manchester which is now in Stockport Town Hall. The sleeve of this denotes Boosey & Hawkes as the copyright holders, presumably of the original orchestral version. I do not know of a published organ arrangement but hopefully the above information might help you in tracking down one if it exists.

Good luck

Brian Childs

This may be the best bet:

March of the Bowmen

And thank you from me, Brian. I was convinced that it was by Eric Coates or Haydn Wood and I spent ages ploughing through dozens of their works, becoming increasingly frustrated at my lack of success. The ear-worm has now been satisfied and I am no longer going round the house humming the tune.

JC