Mander Organ Builders Forum

Herman Raphaelis Roodensteen

Hesperion

In addition to what remains of his work in the organ at Roskilde Cathedral and the "empty" cases in the transept of de Aa Kerk in Groningen I find a wonderful instrument in Denmark.

After the death of her husband, King Christian III of Denmark in 1559, Queen Dorothea moved her Court to the castle at Sonderborg (position 54 55N 9 49E).

It appears that the Raphaelis organ located there has been reconstructed to allign more with his workmanship in favor of a later rework in around 1696. It is a very unusual organ in several ways. One striking thing is the stop action for the upperwork. They seem to consist of direct linkages to the sliders that are acuated by means of long extended handles that hang from the "impost" of the case sides. One would have to stand and lean way out to swing these levers or have an assistant to make registration changes in that division. The lower positif has the usual draw knobs.

The next thing that might be mentioned is the pitch of the organ at a fourth higher than standard:

temperament: meantone.

Stemmetonehøjde: a' = 624 hz. v/ 18° C. !!

soenderborg_slot_spb_m0-18x.jpgsoenderborg_slot_fac_mk2-18x.jpg

soenderborg_traek_soendre_gavl_2631p-18.jpg

Here is the spec.:

Sønderborg Slotskapel

The Chapel of Sønderborg Castle

Mads Kjersgaard 1996

Rekonstruktion af renæssanceorglets tilstand 1626

Reconstruction of the organ's state in 1626

Orgelhus / organ case: Hermann Raphaëlis (?) o. 1570

14 / II

Oberwerck

PRINCIPAL 6'

GROB GEDACT 6'

QVERPFEIFE DISCANT 6'

OCTAVA 3'

NACHTHORN 3'

SUPER OCTAVA 11/2'

SEDECIMA 3/4'

MIXTUR

TROMPET 6'

TREMULANT* Positiv

OCTAV FLÖITE 3'

SUPER OCTAV FLÖITE 1 1/2'

QVINT FLÖITE 1'

ZIMBEL

REGAL 6'

TREMULANT*

*) Fælles / common tremulant.

OW: Manualomfang / manual compass F, G, A-g'', a''.

Pos: Manualomfang / manual compass C, D, E, F, G, A-g'', a''

Pos: Subsemitoner / split keys: ds/es, ds'/es', ds''/es''.

Manualkoppel / manual coupler.

Mekanisk traktur og registratur / mechanical action.

Sløjfevindlader / slider chests.

2 kilebælge / 2 wedge-shaped bellows.

I hope other member will add insights on this builder and other information they might find as well as additional examples of his work.

I hope other member will add insights on this builder and other information they might find as well as additional examples of his work.

An article on this organ was published on the NZorgan site last August at http://www.nzorgan.com/vandr/dorothea2.htm . It includes a link to the web site of this ogan builder. A CD with Allan Rasmussen organist was published in 1998 by Helikon (HCD 1028). This was one of the highlights of the Organ Club of Great Britain visit to Denmark a few years back when Adrian Gunning was President. Much assistance was provided by Nigel Allcoat who suggested (and played at) many of the venues.

PJW

We have a video demonstration of this instrument by our (greatly missed) contributor, Nigel Allcoat, in the "Baroque Organ Tone" thread in this forum.

JC

I just knew you guys would come up with some stuff. :rolleyes: john carter, have you a link to that post? Thanks so much.

I think it only fair to add that the footage of Nigel Allcoat taken in Denmark is from a video which was compiled by the late and sadly missed Colin Goulden on that Organ Club tour of 1999.
Thank you all so much for the further input. If I get chance to discuss the Aa Kerk matter with Mr. Fritts I will certainly report anything he will allow in the way of confirmations and updates. BTW, is there a thread related to that transept organ on the board?