Mander Organ Builders Forum

Spotify

AJJ

I came across this:-

http://www.spotify.com/en/

at the suggestion of my Head teacher (!) - does anyone else use it? There is quite a lot of organ music there but unfortunately you can not download it. You just download a little gizmo (I chose the free version) and off you go. I even found the 3 Duruflé Danses - I didn't know that there was a modern recording of them - they're super pieces.

A

I did read somewhere that some nefarious souls have found a way to capture the streams and make MP3s. I couldn't possibly condone such behaviour!

But it will the end of civilisation if that gets out!

;-)

Paul

But it will the end of civilisation if that gets out!

;-)

Paul

It's quite easy to capture any audio stream - there are many legal apps out there to do it; Audio Hijack on the Mac, for example. However, I believe (as I'm sure most others on here do) that if you're prepared to go that much trouble to pirate a sound file, why not buy the track for 79p ?

2 things would improve Spotify for me - 1. Adverts are fine, but can they be related to the music that I'm listening to, or public service (and at a similar volume!) 2. I'd love a "buy this" link.

(1 I suppose would rely on the record labels being willing to spend money on advertising the kind of music I listen to. Unlikely)

• 1 year later...

Over the holidays for various reasons I decided to try out a subscription (£10 per month) to Spotify, on the basis that if I didn't use it I could easily cancel. I'd had a free version for a year or two, and it was useful to dip into, so why the subscription?- Well the improved 320k audio stream rather than the lower quality in the free version, and also particularly the ability to use it on mobile devices, including offline downloads. It has been useful to hear and access those tracks for which I wouldn't have bought the whole CD.

It's true to say I have a fair few CDs and LPs gathered over the years, but I have been quite amazed at the range of music now on Spotify of all genres, but particularly surprised at the good range of Organ and Choral titles. Browsing through, most of the Priory, Lammas, and Signum label catalogue is present, though Gimell and Hyperion are two notable exceptions, and there are some rumours floating around that Naxos are considering pulling out. Clearly there is a risk that labels can pull out if they consider Spotify royalties to be less than the possible drop in CD sales.

Are there any other Spotify users out there on this list?

However at the moment there is plenty in the organ music catalogue to explore and I echo the comments elsewhere about having a thread to share interesting titles similar to the YouTube thread. There is at the moment no option in Spotify to alert you to similar tracks and albums, but I'm sure it will come.

I've been exploring some of the titles available from the USA maybe not so readily available here.

To start the ball rolling, try this:

http://open.spotify.com/album/0LIiEsLha7U5ahBytdHS7z

or this:

http://open.spotify.com/album/6XLKjBcRiT0KgmbkgfLcDV

Both are from Pro Organo- some but not all of their Catalogue seems to be available-, one from each side of the Atlantic.

I use Spotify quite a lot because it's a useful way of comparing different performances of the same piece. I have an annual subscription (recently renewed) and with that I can let up to about ten friends have free membership (presumably for a limited period). I think it's excellent and well worth the money.

Malcolm

I'm cheap and put up with the adverts! It is excellent though...I particularly enjoy Priory's complete recording of the Evening Canticles (21 CDs) which I think are all on there - some interesting listening including lesser known settings in there.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm probably being really dumb here, but how do you know what is available on Spotify? I couldn't find a searchable catelogue or list of music, and for instance an earlier post said that many of the Priory label discs were available for listening - except that typing in Priory brought up a single recording on Bridlington Priory. A fine instrument, but not what I was looking for. The Spotify website doesn't help either.

I'm probably being really dumb here, but how do you know what is available on Spotify? I couldn't find a searchable catelogue or list of music, and for instance an earlier post said that many of the Priory label discs were available for listening - except that typing in Priory brought up a single recording on Bridlington Priory. A fine instrument, but not what I was looking for. The Spotify website doesn't help either.

I just key in the piece I'm looking for in the search field in the top left hand part of the screen, press enter and I then get either a notification "nothing found" or a whole list of performances to select from. I've never had a problem with it. I imagine that a complete viewable catalogue of everything on Spotify would be impractically large.

Malcolm