Mander Organ Builders Forum

How Can You Tell When...

mrbouffant

All the same, these things are probably unintentional; that is to say, God's local representative simply did not imagine that such an action or decision could have given you offence.

That, Paul, is because God's local representative has, on the whole received little or no training in either music itself or how to foster and maintain relations with church musicians. This often is reflected by the attitude of the congregation. In my own heresy of choice, Roman Catholicism, up till relatively recently what Father says must be right and more often than not the organist /DoM is wrong if his/her musical opinion or some action seems to contradict that of Father. A modest example from my back catalogue: a few years ago "Father" asked me to play at Communion on Advent 3 Wachet Auf - one of his favourite pieces it seemed. I played it, and it went on a little after communion had finished so the priest was waiting to say the post-communion prayer. I duly finished, and he said the prayer and there was an end to it. Later, a chorister no less upbraided me for keeping Father waiting and I shouldn't have done that. Ah but Father specifically asked for that piece, I said. Oh that's OK then said chorister. I asked her how it could be OK if Father says it but not if I say it since the result was the same.

Ordained members of this forum I know are the exception to this being musicians themselves; (incuidentally, this cuts both ways in my case since my degrees are in Theology - this does not always go down well!)

P

When the vicar says that "I stand in front of a painting for a while and admire it, but then I tire of it and move on"? i think we could start a separate thread on inappropriate ways to terminate someone's employment.

.... Which may subsequently appear obliquely or overtly in the 'Letters' section of a certain weekly religious newspaper....

People are dying to hear us play. :rolleyes:

An undertaker to whom I complained about not receiving the fee said, "We always let you down in the end."

But then, he did work for a well-known South African firm called "Human and Pitt".

What was that about the coats?

B