Mander Organ Builders Forum

Gordon Balch Nevin

andyorgan

Guest Cynic
Does anyone have any brief biographical information of our 'Will O The Wisp' friend? And does anyone else play any of the other pieces by him? (e.g. the Tradgedy of a Tin Soldier)

Thanks

There were two Gordon Balch Nevins - father and son. The main one (the son) lived 1892-1943, so his stuff is still in copyright!

He was composer of Will 'o the wisp and Tragedy of the Tin Solider. I have both of these, TofTS isn't up to much, I thought, having dowloaded the score and tried it through. I believe he was also the composer of the famous 'Narcissus' (tho' possibly his father was), but Henderson does not refer to this one - good old Google could probably find it for you. Along with composing, he was organist in Cleveland, Ohio and taught at Hiram College.

Hope this helps.

There is also a Shepherd's Evening Prayer for organ by Nevin Senior available from the Sibley Music Library, as well as a couple of works for other instruments by the cousins of the younger Nevin - Ethelbert and Arthur.

The biographical information provided by Cynic is most useful, as I am programming Will O' The Wisp in a recital next month.

There were two Gordon Balch Nevins - father and son. The main one (the son) lived 1892-1943, so his stuff is still in copyright!

I believe he was also the composer of the famous 'Narcissus' (tho' possibly his father was),

Narcissus was composed by Ethelbert Nevin.