Mander Organ Builders Forum

Holy Week And Easter

bombarde32

A happy Holy Week and Easter to everyone!

Indeed.

Best wishes to all.

If you are playing for services, I hope that they go well and that the organs stay in tune. If you are not playing for sevices, then I hope that you have a restful weekend.

Happy chocolate eating....

I'm going to Paris, the Capital of Organs, its Music and its Players. :huh:

3 services in St Sulpice, 1 sevice and a concert at Notre Dame.

Ah..... :rolleyes:

I wish you all an inspiring Easter.

Funny thing: "Sevice" in French means "physical abuse". Mind the music you will be hearing in NDP....it might cause some troubles for your ears!!

And a Happy Easter (preceded by a Meaningful or even Inspiring - insert whatever adjective you wish -Triduum) to everyone on the Board from me.

I think one of my sopranos is going to try to sing Durufle and have her right foot washed at the same time this evening. Nothing surprises me any more.

Malcolm

A happy and holy Easter to each and every one.

I shall be spending Good Friday morning with one of the accolytes removing the engine from my MGB. After Easter Sunday morning both I and the other regular organist will be handing in our letters of resignation. Credo nonnullus ibi mortuos esse, and as far as the vicar is concerned, nemo aspicit, quin ingemescat et id quot circumiret, circumveniat.

There's still time before choir practice, and I feel the composition of an introit in the Latin style of William Byrd coming on, as soon as they here 'credo' they'll all be happy.

AJS

If anyone wants a translation they can pm me after Sunday.

Guest Roffensis
Indeed.

Best wishes to all.

If you are playing for services, I hope that they go well and that the organs stay in tune. If you are not playing for sevices, then I hope that you have a restful weekend.

Happy chocolate eating....

My church has just been redecorated, dust everywhere, muck abounding, and doors wide open. Scaffolding all over the place, cantilevered off the rose window behind organ etc etc, yes, organ sheeted, and lo and behold, when uncovered, still in tune and no faults at all!! Just more reverberation!!

R

Funny thing: "Sevice" in French means "physical abuse". Mind the music you will be hearing in NDP....it might cause some troubles for your ears!!

Only if you are in the tribune and leaning against the case, directly underneath the chamades....

My church has just been redecorated, dust everywhere, muck abounding, and doors wide open. Scaffolding all over the place, cantilevered off the rose window behind organ etc etc, yes, organ sheeted, and lo and behold, when uncovered, still in tune and no faults at all!! Just more reverberation!!

R

O how I can relate to that! (Except for the reverberation. Blast. And the organ in tune.)

I walked into the choir room last Thursday to discover that the electricians had replaced 180 watts of fluorescent lighting with 60 watts of compact fluorescent lighting. That after I'd spoken to the Vicar, the site supervisor and the electrician about what was needed and had been assured that all would be done according to my wishes. Doh! High ceiling of dark wood. Not only that, but they had ripped the heaters and associated wiring from the walls leaving dirt, paint and plaster over all the music that had been set out for Palm Sunday, Holy Week and Easter. Two hours of preparation time was lost in cleaning and arranging alternate lighting for the rehearsal.

Then, on Saturday, arriving for what I thought would be a good six hours of time on the organ, I found that the low voltage electrics to the organ had been cut when the old distribution board had been decommissioned. No one had thought to do more than just check that the blower, on a separate three phase supply, was working. Oh, and they replaced a carefully placed 200 watt incandescent light with a fluorescent tube mounted just above the music desk so that it shone straight into my eyes - and I can't see the monitor - without a thought to checking with me first.

To add insult to injury, the temperature in this part of the world has dropped, the week after the tuners visited, resulting in not being able to use reed stops. They didn't tune the flue work on the Great as I had requested, so that's not the best, either.

Looks like I'll be tuning tomorrow instead of working on my postlude. Strangely, the opposite happened in the week leading to Christmas. [The temperature continued to climb until we reached the 47 Celsius on what has been called 'Black Saturday' when fires killed so many around the state. I'm grateful that I wasn't personally affected.]

"We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan

In accents most forlorn

Outside the church ere Mass began

One frosty Sunday morn.

Guest Hector5

Greetings to all from sunny Burgundy from Hector and Mrs Hector. We came out for our first Easter off and appear to be working harder than ever. I find myself playing for most of the services at Meursault. The organist has requested that I play (and provided a copy) for INTRODUCTION und FUGUE uber das osterliche Gradual-Alleluja by Ottenwalder. Huge fun to play I should say.

We have made strides with the organ at Meursault, and now have a half completed website at www.meursaultorgue.weebly.com.

Happy Easter to all,

Hector