Mander Organ Builders Forum

Your Easter Voluntary

Peter Clark

What was yours?

Toccata from Widor 5. (And 'this joyful Eastertide, unaccompanied - choir almost 2 years old now!)

The punters love it - one churchwarden was asking what it was - see other threads on 'Can you play and talk?'

The rendition wasn't brilliant, but better than the page turner/stop puller's efforts. Despite currently doing music A2 level, he seemed to have lost the ability to read music. :)

Vierne 1 (finale, I assume)? Love to. How on earth do you play those opening bars? I can only manage it with inordinate amonts of wrist swivelling, and never thought it worthwhile to progress further if the start was unachievable.

Happy Easter!

Ian

Had Widor Toccata this morning (Que twice yearly round of applause, other on Christmas morning when same piece is played) with the Demessieux variations on 'O Filli' immediately before the service which went well.

Tonight, Cochereaus' Toccata-Finale of the 1956 Improvised Symphony. It is a truely wonderful movement. Combined with Smith/Dyson in D/ Blessed be the God and Father and Stanford Bflat T Deum, should make for a good evensong

Semi-Pro choir and full brass in this morning so we finished off with 'Hallelujah Chorus' from Messiah. Great applause at end, so didn't need to do a voluntary after that!! Straight to coffee and Sunday lunch

.........Grand!

Semi-Pro choir and full brass in this morning so we finished off with 'Hallelujah Chorus' from Messiah. Great applause at end, so didn't need to do a voluntary after that!! Straight to coffee and Sunday lunch

.........Grand!

What a splendid idea - and not just in this anniversary year. I sure more choirs ought to follow this example.

JS

What was yours? I transcribed and used La Quenouille from the Bretagne CD (see the Bombarde/Ocarina thread) and it was very effective . So now over to you....

Peter

Well, laugh if you will, but we did one of the Daquin Noels No 10. (yes I know it's not Christmas but nobody else knew it was unseasonal, but some had requested it). when I say 'we' I mean the interlude bits were done by two people playing recorders (the DoM and the director of a local choir) which echoed the organ in the repeats, and I did the loud bits on the organ. And most of the congregation stayed to listen. It went down a storm actually.

R.

Guest Cynic

Well, since you ask....

Last night - a big Catholic Solemn Easter Vigil (on a Farfisa electronic) I gave them a transcription of the Alleluia aria from Mozart's Exsultate jubilate to go out to. Two local Anglican churches where I played this morning (a one-manual Forster & Andrews and a two-decker F&A rebuilt by the dreaded Hall & Broadfield) both got John Weaver's Toccata. This seemed to hit the spot: both congregations embarrassed me with applause! I still haven't been able to pin down exactly why the Weaver reminds me of the theme from Thunderbirds - at any rate it's both tuneful and jolly throughout.

It's out of print of course.....

I wrote a simple Toccata on 'Maccabeus' which I rolled out this morning at the main Eucharist for the first time. They seemed to like it, so can't have been too bad - just something pretty simple and tuneful (and loud!). The anthem was the Bob Chilcott arrangement of "Were you there" from Ash Wednesday to Easter adapted by our DOM with extra verses (including a resurrection verse of course).

Evensong also went well tonight - Walmisley in D minor and we also did Blessed be the God and Father which is one of my personal favourites. The voluntary was the Gordon Slater Canticle on 'St Fulbert' from the Novello Festal Voluntaries collection.

And before all that a 6am Dawn service as well. Martin Shaw's With a Voice of singing the anthem there.

Nothing but compliments about the music this weekend though - everyone has been really appreciative of it all and the choir did absolutely brilliantly today. Great day, always one of my favourites - long and tiring but worth it.

I attended Truro Cathedral for a terrific 10.00am service with Luke Bond (ADoM) at the organ - full cathedral yet the Willis and Mr Bond kept us all together well - some absolutely splendid mid-hymn improvisations - ie, before the last verses. Choir magnificent under Christopher Grey! Voluntary was the Rutter Easter duet piece on "O Filii." Unusually for me, I didn't stay to hear it through - not a piece I've ever warmed to. Altogether, though, a wonderful experience. Truro worships beautifully - do make a point of going if you're in Cornwall - music lists (including voluntary) are on their website so you can check out dumb days, etc.

By the way, how prevalent is the habit of improvising BEFORE the last verse of a hymn to fill time for collection taking, processions ,etc? Is a relatively new idea - ie last 20 years??? I like it, I must say, but I'm not sure I could trust myself to get back to the dominant of X major without being unutterably boring, in the time available!

Martin.

What was yours? I transcribed and used La Quenouille from the Bretagne CD (see the Bombarde/Ocarina thread) and it was very effective . So now over to you....

Peter

Hi

A Bach chorale prelude during the collection, and a Victorian transcription (Dicks) of the Hallelujah Chorus - a bit of a handful on our single manual chamber organ, but pretty effective.

Every Blessing

Tony

Final from Vierne's 3rd symphony.

Glad no one wanted me to stop so they could make some sort of announcement!

OT

Darke in E as the Mass Setting. The boys sailed through the Gloria, including the g'' that they hold for several bars. Sometimes the planets seem to line up correctly. Given we are a parish church and the boys rehearse for such a short amount of time each week, Palm Sunday through to Easter Sunday is a huge demand on them.

And, two new boys are joining the training group for the choir, one having badgered his parents until they just want relief and the other as a result of hearing the choir for the first time on Easter Sunday. My cup runneth over, particularly after the less than stellar start to the week courtesy of the electricians I've grumbled about in another thread.

http://www.mander-organs.com/discussion/in...t&pid=45470

Here at Kendal PC my Assistant took the console for the main service at 10am - Choral Eucharist with Orchestral Mass - after a little ceremony to mark his 40 years of loyal and dedicated service. (He's on his 5th Vicar, and I'm his 4th DoM!) In addition to his party piece, "Introduction and Toccata on Lasst uns Erfreuen" by Nicholas Choveaux, he treated us to an abbreviated version of the Susato Mohrentanz at the request of the clergy, for whom he'd played it the night before.

I was on duty for the 8am morning service, so I did Bach's "Erstanden ist der heil'ge Christ" (from Orgelbuchlein, together with the chorale itself as an introductory fanfare) and for Evensong I blasted the (typically small) congregation from behind with the Langlais Incantation.

By the way, how prevalent is the habit of improvising BEFORE the last verse of a hymn to fill time for collection taking, processions ,etc? Is a relatively new idea - ie last 20 years??? I like it, I must say, but I'm not sure I could trust myself to get back to the dominant of X major without being unutterably boring, in the time available!

Martin.

I first came across it early in the 1980s in an Anglo-Catholic church I used to attend, and have myself been doing it ever since, when appropriate. I know a number of other players who now do it too. It needs quick thinking and good timing to get it just right! But if you can bring it off it's a very elegant solution to making the hymn fit the action. Suggestion - don't be too ambitious, make sure you can start the last verse when you need to - it's only 'wallpaper' after all!

R.

A rare Sunday off out of term time, so we took the whole family to the other end of Dorset. We were treated to Vierne 1 at the end, complete with last couple of lines 'en chamade', much to the fright of my two little boys who decided to go and listen right next to the pipes. Pretty good music throughout (bits of Moz Spetz and Greater Love), but my lasting memory of the place was the vicar greeting people before the service, particularly people who obviously looked like first timers in the place. A certain encouragement to return!

A rare Sunday off out of term time, so we took the whole family to the other end of Dorset. We were treated to Vierne 1 at the end, complete with last couple of lines 'en chamade', much to the fright of my two little boys who decided to go and listen right next to the pipes. Pretty good music throughout (bits of Moz Spetz and Greater Love), but my lasting memory of the place was the vicar greeting people before the service, particularly people who obviously looked like first timers in the place. A certain encouragement to return!

I am very glad that you found our church welcoming.

My apologies if I frightened your lads (although in fairness, it was only the last line) - I wanted to make the most of the fact that my chamades were in tune - for the first time since Christmas.

I hope that you felt welcome enough to go and join most of the congregation for refreshments in Church House afterwards - there were some particularly good homemade chocolate biscuits on offer. My boss and I always try to eat as many of these as possible, since we are worried about our choristers' throats becoming glued up with chocolate, thus adveresly affecting their ability to sing....

At least, that is what my boss tells me, before encouraging me to dig in.

Well that clears up a couple of mysteries about identities and locations then!

They weren't too frightened, and they were pleased we got lots of chamade during the rest of the service as we were sat down that aisle (were they your links between verses of Guiting Power?)

Actually, the one disappointment we did have was that we weren't aware that there were refreshments after the service. Maybe we missed it on the notice sheet, but none of the other very welcoming congregation mentioned it. Was just in the mood for first Easter choccie biscuits...

I am very glad that you found our church welcoming.

My apologies if I frightened your lads (although in fairness, it was only the last line) - I wanted to make the most of the fact that my chamades were in tune - for the first time since Christmas.

Amazing what a bit of relatively stable humidity/temperature does...the weather up until recently has been so changeable that I'm surprised that anything has been in tune!

Amazing what a bit of relatively stable humidity/temperature does...the weather up until recently has been so changeable that I'm surprised that anything has been in tune!

No - we had the organ tuned a few days ago.

:rolleyes: