Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Cd

AJJ

I received this CD last week, I thought the David Briggs track the best. A tip - go to www.hmv.com, enter music and Cochereau in the search at the top of the page, then at the foot of the second page of recordings you will find this new CD at a bargain price, post free as well.

Guest Cynic
Not exactly new, but I have just noticed Priory are offering their complete LP Archive series (10 CDs in 7 vols) for £29.99. Scroll down to the bottom of the links on the left for a complete listing.

At that price I couldn't resist.

I'm sure this is good news for collectors, eventually I may stump up the cash for a set myself.

Sorry to be Cynical and all, but you may be able to guess why they can afford to make such an offer!

It has to do with the fact that I very much doubt that they have paid any of the artists.

Well, they have not even told me, let alone given me a single complimentary copy of the 'Archive Series' CD I'm on!

:(

I find it hard to believe that a company would do that, yet I know it happens.

About 5 years ago I was turning pages for a cathedral organist in the middle of the country, and we were leafing through the newly arrived OR during a rehearsal with the choir. I made an off hand comment about the favorable review his re-release had just got (from younger days and two organ posts previous), and he was staggered to find that recordings of his had been re-released without so much as a letter or note to say so much. He doubted whether he had any legal redress over the issue, in that he didn't think he owned the copyright to the disc (though, couldn't remember signing anything to say as much), but we both agreed that the company concerened surely would think they had a moral duty to at leats write to him, or as you suggest, possibly offer a complimentary copy.

Well, they have not even told me, let alone given me a single complimentary copy of the 'Archive Series' CD I'm on!

It seems very bad form not to have given you even a complimentary copy.

he was staggered to find that recordings of his had been re-released without so much as a letter or note to say so much. He doubted whether he had any legal redress over the issue

In my experience - which is as an editor, not a performer - both publishers and recording companies always require assignment of the copyright (or an aspect thereof) to themselves, which gives them the right to recycle the product subsequently in whatever way they choose. So it's a one-off payment, that's your lot and you have no further rights in the matter. I imagine few if any of us are in any position to negotiate better terms. It would be courteous if record companies let performers know of reissues, but, realistically, I can't see them devoting resources to doing that on a regular basis.

Yes, point taken, but given that in some cases perhaps no fee was originally exchanged and the costs of reissuing are pretty minimal compared with fresh recordings, wouldn't at least a letter and complimentary copy show some good will? A recent double CD set I bought contained about 20 organists on it (I'm almost certain that no fee changed hands on the organ and organist I bought the set for). By my pretty poor reckoning, around half of them are dead, so 10 comp copies to performers I think might have been a nice gesture (I'm assuming they didn't of course, perhaps they did). Particularly as the transfers from LPs have come out quite well, and the performances themselves (from nearly 50 years ago), may not have survived that well on the original LPs.

Guest Cynic
It seems very bad form not to have given you even a complimentary copy.

In my experience - which is as an editor, not a performer - both publishers and recording companies always require assignment of the copyright (or an aspect thereof) to themselves, which gives them the right to recycle the product subsequently in whatever way they choose. So it's a one-off payment, that's your lot and you have no further rights in the matter. I imagine few if any of us are in any position to negotiate better terms. It would be courteous if record companies let performers know of reissues, but, realistically, I can't see them devoting resources to doing that on a regular basis.

Ah well....

the facts are these. I paid half the cost of that recording (the one they have now dipped into substantially for two reissues on CD - LP from St.Alkmund's Whitchurch) It was my first with any company, so this seemed reasonable as it were to prime the pump.

I agree, it would have been nice.....

• 3 weeks later...
I received this CD last week, I thought the David Briggs track the best. A tip - go to www.hmv.com, enter music and Cochereau in the search at the top of the page, then at the foot of the second page of recordings you will find this new CD at a bargain price, post free as well.

My copy arrived yesterday and I also find that David Briggs' contribution to be much more to my taste than the others. It is simply thrilling and catches perfectly the spirit of Pierre Cochereau and his music.

As was mentioned when the subject was first mentioned in another thread some months ago it does seem strange that nothing from ND de P was included. Is today's incarnation of the organ so far removed from that in PC's day that it wasn't considered suitable?

• 1 month later...