Mander Organ Builders Forum

Price Increase!

Surfing through Musicroom today, I notice that there has been a significant increase in Leduc prices. Whereas I paid £13.99 at Christmas for the Dupre Cortege et Litanie I see it now comes in at £21.00! Messiaen's works are similarly inflated. I can understand a couple of quid here and there but almost double the price of less than 6 months ago....? Is this really justifiable? :lol:

Peter

Surfing through Musicroom today, I notice that there has been a significant increase in Leduc prices. Whereas I paid £13.99 at Christmas for the Dupre Cortege et Litanie I see it now comes in at £21.00! Messiaen's works are similarly inflated. I can understand a couple of quid here and there but almost double the price of less than 6 months ago....? Is this really justifiable? :lol:

Peter

Frustrating yes, but I can't help noting that this isn't actually double (which would be £27.98...), but a rather similar proportion to that which the pound has slid against the euro... Add in a small % for an annual increase and it shouldn't really be a surprise for goods coming out of the Eurozone. No doubt organists in Europe are taking advantage by buying cut-price Howells etc... :lol:

I've also noticed this increase - particularly so on Musicroom, with the French editions mentioned. I was planning to buy the Fleury 24 Pieces, which have increased in price by about eight pounds since I last looked. Although Musicroom is favourable for its free postage on larger orders, the following site is also one to be recommended - www.sheetmusichound.com

I've also been trying to get hold of the Edmundson Vom Himmel Hoch for ages (which seems to have been out of print for a long time) and have only found one available, from a second-hand stockist - for 25 pounds!

Frustrating yes, but I can't help noting that this isn't actually double (which would be £27.98...), but a rather similar proportion to that which the pound has slid against the euro... Add in a small % for an annual increase and it shouldn't really be a surprise for goods coming out of the Eurozone. No doubt organists in Europe are taking advantage by buying cut-price Howells etc... :lol:

I was surprised how cheap Messiaen organ music was when I was browsing in Foyles a few weeks ago. That's cheap in the sense that it seemed reasonable compared to how inordinately expensive it was 30 years ago. Maybe a much-postponed price rise has coincided with the collapse of the pound against the euro.

I noticed recently that Dupre's Sept Pieces Op.27 are available on musicroom.com at £72.50. A quick search on the OHS website found the same volume (presumably a reprint?) at $12.95 - or £8.58. That's a staggering difference :lol:

OHS site is excellent, I got my Sept Pieces there, very good copy, a reprint, but from the original masters, but much better than some of the Kalmus editions of Widor.

Jonathan

Guest Cynic
snip

I've also been trying to get hold of the Edmundson Vom Himmel Hoch for ages (which seems to have been out of print for a long time) and have only found one available, from a second-hand stockist - for 25 pounds!

Having found my copy to make a p/c for VA above, I have spotted the original price label. I got it through Belwin Mills in 1979 - and it cost a grand total £1.15 then!

Having found my copy to make a p/c for VA above, I have spotted the original price label. I got it through Belwin Mills in 1979 - and it cost a grand total £1.15 then!

I have just posted him an original copy.

Guest Cynic
I have just posted him an original copy.

Wonderful what support one gets on this forum!

No worry, I'm sure he'll be able to give his spare copy to a friend.

Many warm thanks to those who've assisted me in getting a copy of this piece - I'm most grateful to you. It is good to know that there are such helpful people on this forum!

It really is a cracking piece - I hope to get it learnt in time for Christmas.

There is a company which have started making reprints of previously out of print works - from whom I managed to get the Dupre Paraphrase on Te Deum and Langlais Fete. However, the prices for these when they were originally in print were significantly lower than the reprints!

As for the French stuff, since there a number of composers entering the public domain, things have been made easier, but I'm not so sure about the legal side of this. The complete Tournemire Orgue Mystique has been on IMSLP for quite some time but is blocked until further notice - isn't he soon to be granted public domain status in some countries?

Well, my copy dates from July 2000. The label says $3,50, I paid DM 14 ~ 7€.

Cheers

tiratutti