Mander Organ Builders Forum

Einar Traerup Sark

mjgrieveson

I've searched everywhere I can think of without picking up any reference to this piece.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could point me to a recording of this to help me get a handle on it. Google is unyielding, apart from an A M-T lesson on it which comes wrapped up in a free trial of an American magazine. I was hoping for a YouTube recording, even if it's not very good!

Many thanks

Melanie.

I've searched everywhere I can think of without picking up any reference to this piece.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could point me to a recording of this to help me get a handle on it. Google is unyielding, apart from an A M-T lesson on it which comes wrapped up in a free trial of an American magazine. I was hoping for a YouTube recording, even if it's not very good!

Many thanks

Melanie.

I am afraid I cannot come up with a Youtube recording : indeed the only recording of this piece that I know of is on an LP recorded by Alan Spedding in Beverley Minster in 1972 (RCA VICS 1738 :"The Organ of Beverley Minster") Perhaps E-Bay might yield a copy ? I did hear Dr Spedding play this piece in the Middleton Hall in the University of Hull some time in the late 1960s, so he had it his repertoire at that time. I recall that he is either just about to or has just retired from his post at the Minster but you might be able to contact him via there and if he were willing to do so he obviously could offer advice based on long experience of the work.

Hope this is of some help.

BAC

An LP?

Actually, my old dad has a turntable so if I did manage to unearth a copy at least I would have something to play it on. It looks as though this is one of those not terribly popular pieces that people avoid. Strange, because I'm starting to quite like it; at least my version of it, which is emerging without the aid of distracting registration suggestions on the copy.

It is quite possible that I may run into Dr Spedding (unless he moves house) one day so I could compare registration with him. :)

Thank you for the information.

M

Guest Cynic
An LP?

snip

It looks as though this is one of those not terribly popular pieces that people avoid. Strange, because I'm starting to quite like it; at least my version of it, which is emerging without the aid of distracting registration suggestions on the copy.

snip

I like it enormously. I even bought Toccata II (son of 'Toccata') some years ago in the hope that it was as good (it isn't!). I've been playing it for years and from time to time I meet people who've encountered it before. If you have specific questions I'd be happy to offer suggestions. There is one tricky line of fingering and one other spot where one might require either repeated slow practice or natural jazz-player's 'fine co-ordination' skill but otherwise I would rate it at about Grade 6 or 7 Associated Board. An excellent and very striking work.

Those of you who've not heard it, it is lean and rhythmical, not dissonant except for a few slightly coloured chords for effect. All one needs are two manuals each with a reasonable little chorus. It lasts about six minutes and leaves a clean, exhilarating after-taste. If it is really out of print, someone will have to check - it's Hansen Edition - I could supply pdfs if people contact me as usual.

Allegro have it on their list for £5.75 plus postage (which doesn't necessarily mean that they have it on the shelves). I have just ordered a copy, and will wait to see if it turns up.

The web page with the mp3 version seems to be an advertisement from an electronic organ firm, with a clickable link to order a performance, with other pieces, on a demo CD. I have filled in their order form, and there is no mention of price, so perhaps it is a free demo disk.

I would rate it at about Grade 6 or 7 Associated Board. An excellent and very striking work.

If it is really out of print, someone will have to check - it's Hansen Edition - I could supply pdfs if people contact me as usual.

It is on the AB grade 8 list C; I was wondering if I was missing something because apart from the couple of bars of tricky rhythm and some awkward clusters it isn't really all that bad.

Still exploring the download kindly provided but I may come back for registration suggestions later if that's ok. I'm using a photocopy at the moment but I hope the AB wouldn't list something out of print. (Although they frequently do this with diploma reading matter!)

Edit: I've just listened to justadad's link and it played without me having to sign up for anything. :) I like it - I don't think I've been adventurous enough with the pedal though; if anyone could give me an idea what it was I would be grateful. Was it 32'? (which I do have but feel rather than hear unless I'm not using it correctly.)

If it is really out of print, someone will have to check - it's Hansen Edition - I could supply pdfs if people contact me as usual.

As mentioned, it's on the current AB organ syllabus (grade 8) so should be in print. It's published by Hansen, the UK umbrella company now being Music Sales Group.

Allegro have it on their list for £5.75 plus postage (which doesn't necessarily mean that they have it on the shelves). I have just ordered a copy, and will wait to see if it turns up.

Ordered May 17th, despatched from Allegro this morning, the 18th.