Mander Organ Builders Forum

Meursault Organ Website

Guest Hector5

Guest Hector5

I have been working on a small website to help increase awareness of the Mutin Cavaille Coll organ. While the site is in it's infancy, it certainly gives plenty of information in terms of layout within the case. We are trying to date the organ, so if anyone out there has any ideas do let me know. We have discovered only one pipe within the organ which has the tell-tale numbering system on it. I now have a key to the organ, so if anyone is in Burgundy during school holidays and wants to come and see and try the organ, please feel free to PM me.

The website can be found at:

http://meursaultorgue.weebly.com/

hector

Guest Hector5
Lovely - 'was nearly on a ferry and over there................!

A

PS Some sound clips perhaps?

......................yeeeeeeees - once I've figured how to do it!!

Guest Hector5

Sound files of this magnificent organ are now on line. Sorry about the long lead in, and also the lamentable standard of playing. The appel anches played up and stops occasionally do not draw as they should. More to follow.

Enjoy!

Hector

Wow - judging from the Boellman alone - if one didn't know the stoplist one could be listening to an organ at least twice the size - these small C-C/Mutin etc. type instruments are a real revelation.

A

Wow - judging from the Boellman alone - if one didn't know the stoplist one could be listening to an organ at least twice the size - these small C-C/Mutin etc. type instruments are a real revelation.

A

Because of the Tuba maybe ?

Pierre

Hi Hector - just listening to the first clip. Don't think you've got anything to apologise for about the standard of playing. Lamentable isn't the word I would use.

Thanks for bringing this super organ to our attention.

Pierre

Highly likely Pierre - it show clearly though that a small collection of well voiced voices (with a decent expression box - in this case) can do fantastic things. The opposite of course applies also.......!

A

Guest Hector5

Pierre

No - there's a lot to this organ, and the Tuba isn't what makes it. The organist rarely uses anything above 8' (fonds) to accompany a pretty full church of people, and yet they sing, and pretty well too. The organ when heard downstairs has a warm, wrap-around sound. Perhaps it's the extraordinary expression box, albeit missing a set of shutters at the rear (these will be put back in the restoration - replacing the tuning access panel with something a little more practical). Perhaps it's the fact that the way the pipework has been planted on the windchest. The treble ascendant voicing really helps the organ to sing out. Playing Bach on it requires the romantic approach - so forget crisp, clear Principal choruses; in fact chuck all the rules to the wind and pull the 16' Bourdon and Fonds on the manuals and play, say the Bach BWV562. There is a luminous clarity, even with this supposedly ludicrous combination.

I realise I sound a little over the top in my enthusiasm about this organ - but the reality is that I get more of a buzz playing this organ, than my 1992 Walker. For those of you who haven't heard it yet, go to the website a listen hard to the quality of the stops. The organ is in a fairly crappy condition and requires a complete restoration (this will happen), but the quality still shines through.

I have promised the parish that I will do my best to make this little organ better known, and I have built the website as my contribution to their fund-raising activities. There is much to go on, including the correction of spelling gaffes, together with more content. There will be more once the legal stuff has been completed with the authorities for the formation of the Amis de L'orgue.

I have put some more sound files on, and they are complete pieces. The photos are uncompressed so that they can be enlarged to show the details.

For those of you who have written to me with kind comments about the organ, many thanks - I will pass these on to the parish. The more ammunition we have to demonstrate the significance of this organ, the more money people will give.

Hector

The organist rarely uses anything above 8' (fonds) to accompany a pretty full church of people, and yet they sing, and pretty well too. The organ when heard downstairs has a warm, wrap-around sound. Perhaps it's the fact that the way the pipework has been planted on the windchest. The treble ascendant voicing really helps the organ to sing out. Playing Bach on it requires the romantic approach - so forget crisp, clear Principal choruses; in fact chuck all the rules to the wind and pull the 16' Bourdon and Fonds on the manuals and play, say the Bach BWV562. There is a luminous clarity, even with this supposedly ludicrous combination.

Hector

Interestingly I have had similar experiences on some of the smaller Willis 1 village type organs - also here albeit on a larger scale - when I used to 'sub' here some years ago now.

A

With the Double Open on the Great and a complete Full Swell

if one uses the octave couplers, this is no surprise...

Meursault sounds very well indeed. I gave the link on the french forum,

where it meets with much interest.

Mutin becomes much appreciated nowadays.

Pierre

It sounds very fine indeed.

I've heard/played quite a few small 2 manual organs whilst in rural France, none by C.C yet, but a few by Stolz and a couple by Quorin; mostly in good playing order, and similarly they have all sounded magnificent.

The common factor has been that all the churches which housed the instruments have been larger than the average British Parish Church, with relatively high stone vaulting, stone-paved floor, and no pews; giving very favourable acoustics. The instruments have been sited on galleries, either directly against the west wall or set infront of it by about 2 metres, encased in a fairly shallow box and speaking directly down the main axis of the building.

(Incidently AJJ, I too used to play the Monk's Road Willis you linked and agree; the acoustics of the church are quite good and the organ is well placed!)

DT

Guest Hector5
The organ sound is fine and in many ways quite thrilling. Well played too! As a matter of interest the Vierne Pastorale comes up with "File not found" so it is not possible to hear it.

DKP

Mea culpa!!! All sorted now.

Hector