Mander Organ Builders Forum

Rfh Organ

contraviolone

Guest Roffensis
Why only a third of the instrument reinstated?  I think this is unacceptable and opens the question will the authorities commit to the reinstallment of the other departments?

In my opinion the whole of the organ should be restored in keeping with the integrity of the hall as a whole.  :ph34r:

The same applies to Ally Pally........

One might have thought that it would have been easier to re-instate the entire instrument at the same time, as opposed to doing it in pieces. Perhaps H&H are too busy to spend long on it at the projected time of installation.

It would certainly have been easier and a darn sight cheaper in the long run. It is said to be costing some £30k a year alone just to store the dismantled instrument.

The SBC management is rumoured to be unsympathetic, to say the least, to the organ and would gladly be rid of the whole thing. This would account for the grudingly short-sighted and penny-pinching way they have gone about the restoration of this historic instrument, which is part and parcel of of this listed building as well as a landmark in English organ-building (whether or not we happen to like the sound it makes).

With the philistine accountants in charge, one has to be fairly sanguine about the chances of the instrument ever being fully reinstated.

JS

• 4 months later...

Has anyone seen the article in Time Out (January 17) about the RFH organ restoration?

Quote from article "Reinstallation of the first phase - some 2500 pipes - started at the end of October; the Swell organ, great organ fluework, and the pedal are now back in place." It goes on to state that dust is a problem and looking at the picture one could only agree with the caption under it that dust is "quite a challenge" because it would appear that other work is stilll in progress on the concert platform.

I don't currently have the technology to place a scan of the article for access but those who would like it can email me at martinstanley@clara.co.uk and I will do my best to send it.

Of course the Ally Pally organ should be fully restored if it remains in the Great Hall rather than be removed to another site in the Palace.

It is going to be difficult to persuade the new developers to support the organ, which I would have thought would not have been a problem at the RFH. I much prefer the RAH organ.

How pleasing to see that Harrisons have a full order book for the next five years, and i hope that Manders, David Wells and other respected organ buiding firms are in a similar situation.

Colin Richell,

• 5 weeks later...
Is there any latest news on the RFH Organ? Perhaps William McVicker can post an update to the comprehensive post he made when this thread began? Certainly Forum Members should be concerned with this latest potential threat to the secular Organ scene in London.

I have just heard a recording of the RFH organ on "The organists entertains", and I still maintain that the RAH organ is more pleasing to the ear. Perhaps the RFH acoustics were not right.

Colin Richell.