Mander Organ Builders Forum

Atb Psalter

Davidb

I believe there is someone who, a year of so ago, was cataloguing every known psalter and chant book in this country and it seems likely that if anyone knows the answer to this question he will. I don't know his name or how to contact him but if you ring Cathedral Music (01243 379968) Richard Barnes may be able to put you in contact with this person.

Malcolm

I don't know about psalters (if you mean text-plus-chants) but there definitely was a chant book for men's voices. I have a copy of an old, thin book called The Ad Majorem Collection of Psalter Chants, published by Novello & Co. Ltd (no date). The cover states "Third Edition" and it may be that it was originally published by another firm since several of the chants are printed "by permission of Novello and Company Limited"! Anyway, four chants, by T. Tertius Noble, Sir George Martin, G. F. Huntley and C. L. Naylor, appear in alternative three-part versions for ATB along with the legend "The same chant as in the "Male Voice Chant-Book", by permission." It appears that the ATB version of Huntley's chant was the original.

The chant collector to whom Malcolm refers is Peter Kirk. I have a (hopefully still current) e-mail address for him which I can let you have if you PM me - I'm sure he wouldn't mind since I got it from an article in Cathedral Music a while back.