Mander Organ Builders Forum

Fort Augustus Abbey Scotland

I hope this hasn't been covered - apologies if it has!

I accidentally happened upon this website a few days ago.........Fort Augustus Abbey

which is very interesting, and obviously written under some kind of legal constraint.

To summise, it seems there was once a monestery there with a big abbey and a large organ of five manuals and 70+ stops NPOR Fort Augustus

The place has closed down and now seems to be in a sorry state.

Some of the organ was transferred to a Scottish catholic church NPOR Rebuilt organ

but not much as this is a 3 manual 30+ stop instrument.

Does anyone know what happened to the rest of the instrument?

Best wishes

Richard

Some of the organ was transferred to a Scottish catholic church NPOR Rebuilt organ

but not much as this is a 3 manual 30+ stop instrument.

Does anyone know what happened to the rest of the instrument?

Best wishes

Richard

Some mention of this organ can be found under General discussion. Look for the topic '1881 book...'

Post #2 has some details and points to an article in BIOS Journal 31 for further reading.

I'm afraid I don't know what happened to the bits and pieces left over.

H

Some mention of this organ can be found under General discussion. Look for the topic '1881 book...'

Post #2 has some details and points to an article in BIOS Journal 31 for further reading.

I'm afraid I don't know what happened to the bits and pieces left over.

H

I asked that very question not more than a couple of weeks ago. Please can someone enlighten us further, as long as it doesn't risk the lawyers' anger given the story on the Fort Augustine website!!!

http://www.mander-organs.com/discussion/in...l=fort+augustus

• 3 weeks later...

This is from the NPOR entry for St George's, Stockport. It's a long and uninteresting story as to why I was looking at this, so I won't bore anyone with it....

"Pedal Contra Trombone - 12 lowest pipes ex Fort Augustus Abbey"

P

This is from the NPOR entry for St George's, Stockport. It's a long and uninteresting story as to why I was looking at this, so I won't bore anyone with it....

"Pedal Contra Trombone - 12 lowest pipes ex Fort Augustus Abbey"

P

Rushworths were doing the Stockport rebuild at the same time as the Abbey work. My father-in-law (Michael English) was organist of Stockport at the time, and part-way through the rebuild got the phone call of most organists' dreams - "We've got a 32' reed, do you want it?"

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I was organist at St Andrew's cathedral Inverness during the early 1980s, & got to know Fr Gregory Brusey, organist at Fort Augustus Abbey. The huge 5-manual organ in the church was not only far too large for the building, but also way beyond the resources of the Abbey community to maintain. Rushworth & Dreaper rebuilt it, either in in the late 60s or early 70s, as a moderate size 3-manual, perfectly adequate for the building. THis is the organ now in the RC church at Buckie, a very sensible home for it.

Peter Godden