Mander Organ Builders Forum

32' Reeds

OmegaConsort

Whilst driving back from St Albans just now, and thinking about the recent rebuilt there, I started to ponder on cathedrals and larger churches which have recently added a 32' reed to the organ....

Off the top of my head:

St Albans, Exeter, Gloucester, St Davids, Sherborne Abbey, and soon-to-be Cirencester PC.

Also, I was thinking about Cathedrals which do not (yet) have 32' reeds......

Southwell (digital basses), Bradford, Carlisle, Truro, Bristol, Derby......and of course many RC cathedrals...

Can anyone add to the list?

Best wishes

Richard

Whilst driving back from St Albans just now, and thinking about the recent rebuilt there, I started to ponder on cathedrals and larger churches which have recently added a 32' reed to the organ....

Off the top of my head:

St Albans, Exeter, Gloucester, St Davids, Sherborne Abbey, and soon-to-be Cirencester PC.

Southwell (digital basses), Bradford, Carlisle, Truro, Bristol, Derby......and of course many RC cathedrals...

Best wishes

Richard

Wells. (No 32 at all)

Guest Stanley Monkhouse

Derby has a 32 trombone with a synthetic (Compton) bottom octave. It's rather effective in that lovely acoustic. Isn't it similar at Wakefield, or is that a 'proper' reed?

Neither of Birmingham's cathedral organs have 32' reeds. St. Philip's has a 32' flue although I believe that the bottom octave is electronic.

I really enjoy the regular lunchtime recitals there; it's a super sounding organ and the cathedral is a wonderful oasis in the maelstrom that is Birmingham city centre.

Off the top of my head:

Best wishes

Richard

Anglican Cathedral organs without 32' reeds. Examples not mentioned elsewhere: Chelmsford, Leicester and Oxford.

Another organ recently rebuilt with a new 32 foot reed added: Christ Church Clifton.

Contrabombarde

Also, All Saints Hertford - a Father Willis and now with a contra posaune (3 manuals).

Interesting replies so far - I included Derby in the No list as I didnt think it was a true 32'

There is also a nice soft 32' on Croydon St Michael and All Angels (sordun I think) - tho I dont think that is recent.

Speaking of strange names, Milton Abbey (2m) has a 32' called Contra Reim, Sherborne Abbey's is a Contra Batten and we all know about the Serpent at Blackburn!

On another post, someone was mentioning the loudness of the 32' at St David's - I took my choir to Ripon last summer, and the 32 reed there is just awful in the Choir (even worse if you catch it when processing out at the end of the service!).

Richard

Also, All Saints Hertford - a Father Willis and now with a contra posaune (3 manuals).

Interesting replies so far - I included Derby in the No list as I didnt think it was a true 32'

There is also a nice soft 32' on Croydon St Michael and All Angels (sordun I think) - tho I dont think that is recent.

Speaking of strange names, Milton Abbey (2m) has a 32' called Contra Reim, Sherborne Abbey's is a Contra Batten and we all know about the Serpent at Blackburn!

On another post, someone was mentioning the loudness of the 32' at St David's - I took my choir to Ripon last summer, and the 32 reed there is just awful in the Choir (even worse if you catch it when processing out at the end of the service!).

Richard

I sat in the quire/choir for a recital, and the vibrating sounds coming from windows?? was as bad as manchesters, which is hidden, or was, behind a curtain in the side chapel

Peter

St Nicholas, Sutton Surrey - Bance addition

The recently refurbished organ of Bloomsbury Central Baptist Church in London, by B.C. Shepherd & Sons now has a very effective 32 ft Sackbut, and is the only Baptist Church in the British Isles with a 32ft reed.

Come and hear it at the recital on Saturday 27th June at 4pm.

I sat in the quire/choir for a recital, and the vibrating sounds coming from windows?? was as bad as manchesters, which is hidden, or was, behind a curtain in the side chapel

Peter

The rattling sound seems to have been cured. To be fair, the Bombardon (and the big Solo & Great reeds, for that matter) were never intended for service use in the choir and visiting organists are requested not to use them. However, judicious use in recitals is another matter.

JS

To be fair, the Bombardon (and the big Solo & Great reeds, for that matter) were never intended for service use in the choir and visiting organists are requested not to use them. However, judicious use in recitals is another matter.

JS

Oops! I used them for Climax No 10 in last year's concert :lol: . Being a Magistrate I considered it just judicious enough for their use in the circumstances. However the heavens didn't, because following the concert neighbouring Sheffield suffered appalling floods.

Nigel

Crediton PC gained a 32 bottom octave in the (fairly) recent restoration. Before the restoration, the smoothest Harrison I've ever heard, by some way!