Mander Organ Builders Forum

Dance Music

andyorgan

Guest Cynic
Excelent, thanks for these and keep them coming.

As requested: In no particular order:

There's the Heiller Tanz Toccata - some very odd rhythms, but it's unmistakably Viennese. It'll take a while to learn!

Toccata a La Gigue by Orlando Mansfield is good, though out of print.

I am currently learning Three Dances by Ian Hare, published by Animus. No.1 'Spanish Dance' is a real winner.

Frescobaldi's Aria detta Balletto comes highly recommended

The same volume (Spielbuch fur Kleinorgel, Peters) has an ? anonymous Partita on La Follia (? sp.)

Do you have any Edward German? There are plenty of pastiche dance movements there.

There's the Warlock Capriol Suite of course, there are various versions around including one for organ by Andrew Teague

[my own version, unpublished, is based on the piano reduction].

Weird and wonderful: Alain Trois Dances

Pavane and Galliard - Philip Cranmer OUP (though possibly now out of print)

The Farrington is very tricky, not just a bit tricky, even the slower movements! The only two people I've heard bring it of well are the composer and Christopher Herrick.

HG, where did you get the Tango piece from, do you have a copy?

Cynic, thanks for your list. I have the Lemare/German volume that has some dances in, not bad fillers on the right instrument!

HG, where did you get the Tango piece from, do you have a copy?

AJJ has beaten me to it! :D

Thanks for the Tango post HG - Fredrik Sixten's website is here and I have ordered a few pieces - nice stuff!!

A

You're welcome! :rolleyes: He's written lots of gorgeous, inventive and worthwhile music. I hope you enjoy it, and I warmly commend his music to other organists on the forum.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to 'resurrect' this thread, thanks to all who gave me food for thought before Christmas (my wife and the bank balance are not thanking you, however!)

Can anyone throw any light on where I can get any of the Ridout compositions from; the Nativity Dances, the Resurrection Dances, and the Dance Suite (or even how I can get hold of the artist on the Lammas CD, as he is no longer at the school named on the website).

Many thanks

Sorry to 'resurrect' this thread, thanks to all who gave me food for thought before Christmas (my wife and the bank balance are not thanking you, however!)

Can anyone throw any light on where I can get any of the Ridout compositions from; the Nativity Dances, the Resurrection Dances, and the Dance Suite (or even how I can get hold of the artist on the Lammas CD, as he is no longer at the school named on the website).

Many thanks

You could try Lance Andrews via Lammas Records - they are now in York I think - he might be able to help.

A

Many thanks

I spent many a fruitless year trying to track down the "Resurrection Dances" (my only clue being a tip-off from David Rogers in sunny Doncaster that for some reason or other the work had once been published as "Two Organ Pieces!") before finally obtaining an authorised reprint from The Music Vault. I think they might have been a division of Warner/Chappell Music...

Might be worth dropping them a line: The Music Vault - Warner/Chappell Music Ltd, Griffin House, 161 Hammersmith Road, London W6 8BS

If I may add: the "Resurrection Dances" are, for want of a better word, "hard." Well, certainly the third one takes quite some doing! You're not going to survive unscathed if you're not prepared to do some serious taking-apart-and-putting-back-together-slowly kind of practice.....