Mander Organ Builders Forum

Guilmant Sonata No.5

Guest Cynic

Guest Cynic

Dear Readers,

sorry to parade my ignorance to one and all, but I have searched the limited resources at my disposal here and have trawled a bit on the internet without success. The final movement of Guilmant's Sonata in C minor features an opening chorale which in due course is combined with a fine fugue. I am sure that I have heard this chorale somewhere before, but where? Is it in fact a well-known chorale, simply one that we no longer use? Of course, if I could remember exactly where I have heard it before there would be no problem; it could be one that Bach has used in some wonderful prelude or cantata for instance.

Who knows and could help me out with this?

As they say on Ebay,

'thanks for looking!'

P.

I'm afraid I can't help with this, but I've long wondered about the chorale as I play the whole sonata quite frequently (hence the user name!). I've always thought that it was a Guilmant made up one, as he then weaves it in and out of the fugal texture, but perhaps I've been wrong all this time. It is certainly within the house style of the publisher to footnote that kind of thing, so I was always along the lines of, nothing mentioned, nothing previously existed.

The Scherzo has always gone down well as a voluntary!

PS Cynic; have you any thoughts on dance movements for the other topic? Legend has it that your repertoire is pretty wide and takes in some obscure corners!!

• 1 year later...

Hi!

I'm sorry I'm answering this nearly 2 years after your question.

It's not so long since I learned this piece, which I played at my final exam in Bergen in 2008. When I was learning the notes for this sonata, I also did a little research on the piece.

guilmant's (the user profile here, not the composer) is correct in his thoughts. This chorale, which Guilmant (the composer) uses for the final movement, is written by himself, and doesn't occur in any liturgical material. This is at least what I've been told by ceveral french organists.

Hi!

It's not so long since I learned this piece, which I played at my final exam in Bergen in 2008. When I was learning the notes for this sonata, I also did a little research on the piece.

guilmant's (the user profile here, not the composer) is correct in his thoughts. This chorale, which Guilmant (the composer) uses for the final movement, is written by himself, and doesn't occur in any liturgical material. This is at least what I've been told by ceveral french organists.

Dear Hallgeir,

many thanks for contributing to this thread and for your helpful comment.

Welcome to the board too!

P.

Hi!

Ah, the relief!

Welcome to the board and thanks for the contribution.