Mander Organ Builders Forum

Regensburg

kropf

Hello all!

In the German Orgelforum there was a link to the Homepage of the New Organ of Regensburg Cathedral. This is a very impressive church in North-East Bavaria. It houses a quite large Mathis organ hidden behind the Altar. As time went by (and certain organs were built elsewhere...), the hesitation which was tied to the pure architecture of the cathedral faded away, and the musicians started not only dreaming, but talking about an additional "real" cathedral organ. It is currently beeing installed by Rieger of Austria. It is quite a large instrument, and stunning first photopgraphs of the installation are available now here.

Wait for the gallery images to be loaded and click the first one.

The organ is fully suspended from the roof, like Cologne Cathedral. But the organist will reach this one not by a long walk through the roof, but will get an elevator, which will be invisible when not in use.

Even without translated text, the pictures are very interesting. Note one of the blowers beeing installed on top of the instrument, and the installation of the mechanical console in the height.

There will be a general console to control both the Rieger and the Mathis. Some images indeed show the Mathis "Chororgel".

For the specification, see here. Greetings, KBK

Just to throw a stone in the water - why do they want a console 'up there' in such a scheme?

For 'local' use in mass they'll probably use the hauptgenerallgesamttotalspieltisch, and for recitals one is supposed to do soundchecks 'down there'.

A console on the floor may also be more interesting for the public (and the player - soundbalance see St.Pauls' ?)

But anyway, nice to see a big organ being built - we'll do with tiny 2 manuals here ...

Just to throw a stone in the water - why do they want a console 'up there' in such a scheme?

For 'local' use in mass they'll probably use the hauptgenerallgesamttotalspieltisch, and for recitals one is supposed to do soundchecks 'down there'.

A console on the floor may also be more interesting for the public (and the player - soundbalance see St.Pauls' ?)

But anyway, nice to see a big organ being built - we'll do with tiny 2 manuals here ...

Yes, as discussions and shared experiences on German Websites show, if there is a choice of two consoles, one mechanical close to the organ but "remote" to the usual places of things to happen (concert, liturgy) and an electric one downstairs, the latter is beeing chosen more frequently. Same at many concert hall organs. The upper mechanical console often collects dust and gets unplayable. (I know it from the Klais Altenberg and the Eisenbarth in Passau Dom, that the mech consoles were faulty when I was on a visit there....)

The answer to heva's initial question should be: Allowing an organ beeing built as a real electrically controlled instrument maybe would still be a shame in Germany. It will wake up the public mind which will start to ask: And why did we throw away our previous EP instrument?

In Karlsruhe, Klais rebuilds an own EP organ and even adds more EP soundboards. Here in Rostock St. Marien (own topic), we will see, but also here it is likely to keep the EP instrument. And I would do pretty much to make it a fascinating one, if circumstances will allow...!

Geteiltes Pedal am Generalspieltisch?

Hmmm. I can think of a number of possibilities, but none of them convincing enough for me to think that I've translated this correctly. Help, please.

Geteiltes Pedal am Generalspieltisch?

Hmmm. I can think of a number of possibilities, but none of them convincing enough for me to think that I've translated this correctly. Help, please.

It means "Pedal divide", but available on General Console only.

I was there in May, and it was all covered up at that point.

I heard the Domspaetzenchor giving a special concert as well. Breathtaking; they certainly made a few English Cathedral Choirs I've heard over the years sound positively sloppy (in terms of sheer precision, focus, pitch, rhythm, and control).

There is another small church in the town ('Alte Kapelle') with a magnificent baroque interior, containing a new Organ dedicated to Pope Benedict. (http://www.mathis-orgelbau.ch/rtf/pope_benedict_organ.pdf)

• 2 weeks later...
It means "Pedal divide", but available on General Console only.

Is this like a divided manual? Different registrations in the two sections? If so, is the note where the registration splits preset, or can that be changed? At what note does it split?

Is this like a divided manual? Different registrations in the two sections? If so, is the note where the registration splits preset, or can that be changed? At what note does it split?

Yes. Yes. No. Yes. Adjustable.

See, inter alia, Notre-Dame de Paris, Truro Cathedral, Gloucester Cathedral, Ripon Cathedral (nave console).

Every organ should have one. Adds another limb.

E.g.

LH: Swell Strings 16, 8, 4;

LF: (to Sw) 32, 16, mutations etc;

RH: Cornet;

RF: Cromorne

or 'super' classical Plein Jeu / Plein Jeu with steroids:

manuals Grand Plein Jeu;

RF: chamades (cantus firmus);

LF: 32,16,8 fonds or even low anches for big finish.