Mander Organ Builders Forum

Help With Jsb Arrangement

Clavecin

We were in the Cathedral at Albi last week, doing the tourist thing with the 'audio guides'.

Various pieces of music played on the organ formed a background to the commentary, one of them was an arrangement of the first movement from the Cantata BWV 170 for solo alto, Vergnugte Ruh, beliebte Seelenlust. If you don't know this piece, it's absolutely gorgeous, there's a recording of the 3 Alto Cantatas by Andreas Scholl which I can thoroughy recommend.

If anyone's come across an arrangement of this I would love to do it.

DT

"Various pieces of music played on the organ formed a background to the commentary, one of them was an arrangement of the first movement from the Cantata BWV 170 for solo alto, Vergnugte Ruh, beliebte Seelenlust. If you don't know this piece, it's absolutely gorgeous, there's a recording of the 3 Alto Cantatas by Andreas Scholl which I can thoroughy recommend.

If anyone's come across an arrangement of this I would love to do it."

Gosh, me too. Am currently working on the Winsemius transcription of the middle movement from the double violin concerto, which is quite tricky! But I would love to play Cantata 170...

Bazuin

• 5 weeks later...

As no-one was able to offer any advice about this, I obtained a vocal score and made my own arrangement of the opening aria.

It's nearly 7 minutes long; in terms of texture it's an amalgam of the OUP arrangement of 'Air from Suite in D' and a slow movement from a Trio Sonata.

It's of moderate difficulty, but you'll need a fluent left hand.

If any forum members are interested in playing this, I have printed off several copies which you can have free of charge. Alternately, if you run Sibelius you can have a download of the file.

PM me if you are interested.

DT

I know the arranger of a number of Cantata movements - Rev. Peter Baekgaard in Denamrk. They are an excellent addition for those people requiring such well transcribed material. The whole can be heard on CLASSCD 668 (the Classico label).

BWVs:29;199;75;4;36;143;163;113;9;95;13;109;180;22;1;159;166;167

I can easily supply hias address should players want to aquire the dots.

Best wishes,

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...
I know the arranger of a number of Cantata movements - Rev. Peter Baekgaard in Denamrk. They are an excellent addition for those people requiring such well transcribed material. The whole can be heard on CLASSCD 668 (the Classico label).

BWVs:29;199;75;4;36;143;163;113;9;95;13;109;180;22;1;159;166;167

I can easily supply hias address should players want to aquire the dots.

Best wishes,

Nigel

Anyone interested in the Cantatas might care to have a look at this web site.

It contains the vocal scores for most of the Cantatas as pdf files which you can access with free Abode Reader software.

An excellent resource!

DT