Mander Organ Builders Forum

Mystery Man

Several years ago, whilst browsing an American bookseller's catalogue, I was intrigued to find a booklet published in Germany in 1945 which was a description of the organ in Liverpool cathedral. The author's name was Dr Thomas Moore.

I find it quite amazing that a book about an English organ be published in Germany during the last year of WW2.The authorities at Liverpool were interested in having the book for their archive but were unable to shed any light on the author. There is a copy of the book in the OHS archive and they give the translator's name as Paul Smets who was a German writer on organ topics who died in 1961. Can anyone throw any light on the author?

Several years ago, whilst browsing an American bookseller's catalogue, I was intrigued to find a booklet published in Germany in 1945 which was a description of the organ in Liverpool cathedral. The author's name was Dr Thomas Moore.

I find it quite amazing that a book about an English organ be published in Germany during the last year of WW2.The authorities at Liverpool were interested in having the book for their archive but were unable to shed any light on the author. There is a copy of the book in the OHS archive and they give the translator's name as Paul Smets who was a German writer on organ topics who died in 1961. Can anyone throw any light on the author?

It just goes to show that art transcends war.

It just goes to show that art transcends war.

Indeed. Did you see the web site where someone has listed concert programmes by various UK orchestras, including some of them through the war? Lots of German/Austrian music was being played throughout the hostilities, and German artists started appearing very soon thereafter.

Indeed. Did you see the web site where someone has listed concert programmes by various UK orchestras, including some of them through the war? Lots of German/Austrian music was being played throughout the hostilities, and German artists started appearing very soon thereafter.

Do you have a link?