Mander Organ Builders Forum

Langlais: Prélude Sur Une Antienne

nachthorn

Prélude sur une Antienne. I found this beautifully reflective short work in the Langlais collection 'Neuf Pieces' after hearing it on a Lammas CD from St. Albans recently. The score itself doesn't give much information away, and most of the internet search results relate to the sale of that same Lammas recording. The question is, does anyone know which anthem chant the piece is based on, or whether Langlais created an original melody in the style of chant?

I realise that the piece may not be particularly well known, so if I'm met with stunned silence, I'll post the chant melody notation.

Prélude sur une Antienne. I found this beautifully reflective short work in the Langlais collection 'Neuf Pieces' after hearing it on a Lammas CD from St. Albans recently. The score itself doesn't give much information away, and most of the internet search results relate to the sale of that same Lammas recording. The question is, does anyone know which anthem chant the piece is based on, or whether Langlais created an original melody in the style of chant?

I realise that the piece may not be particularly well known, so if I'm met with stunned silence, I'll post the chant melody notation.

Manyt years ago I made a study of the plainchant and plainsong themes Langlais used in his works with a view to creating eventually a catalogue and was in touch with him - he felt it a worthwhile project and was most encouraging. (I still treasure a letter from him, written in his wife's hand but which he signed.) The iron fist of circumstance saw to it that the project would never fully be realised but I still have some research notes and bibliographic sources. I see that this particular piece dates from 1929, considerably earlier than the rest of the collection (1942-3). I don't have this score to hand but if you'd care to post the melody I'll have a look through my notes and in my Liber Usualis and see if I can come up with anything. (Actually I suppose you'll have to send me a PDF, so please PM me for my email.)

Peter