Mander Organ Builders Forum

Whitlock - March: Dignity & Impudence

Philip

I've been meaning to ask this for some time. I have the Priory CD 'The Music of Hereford Cathedral' which includes this great piece played on the organ by Graham Barber. I've had a look round on the internet and gather that this was originally written for orchestra but I think the organ arrangement sounds excellent.

I haven't come across it being published anywhere - is there a published transcription of the piece?

Also - the crucial question - how difficult is it?!

Many thanks in advance.

.... I haven't come across it being published anywhere - is there a published transcription of the piece?

Also - the crucial question - how difficult is it?!

Many thanks in advance.

Yes. It's by Malcolm Riley, a longtime champion of Whitlock's music - and a member of this forum! It's published by Banks Music Publications. You'll have to PM him to ascertain the work's difficulty...

Yes. It's by Malcolm Riley, a longtime champion of Whitlock's music - and a member of this forum! It's published by Banks Music Publications. You'll have to PM him to ascertain the work's difficulty...

I haven't got my copy with me but I'd say it's about the same difficulty as Fanfare (Four Extemporisations).

Martin.

Whitlock's Dignity and Impudence March is in the volume of Four Transcriptions published by Banks Music Publications. They've now moved to Hovingham (from Sand Hutton). Yes, I'd agree that it's about the same difficulty as Fanfare. We had PW's own 2 stave short score of the march which was a great help in the transcription process. The full score is available from me if anyone is interested. There's an organ part (of course), filling in with some 'fat-stock business', as PW would term it. The orchestral version was recorded by the RTE Concert Orchestra on a Marco Polo (ie Naxos) CD in 1999 together with PW's remaining light orchestral output.

• 2 weeks later...
Many thanks - exactly what I needed!

Good luck with learning this - it's a fine piece, and an excellent transcription. I've had a lot of mileage out of it in the last twelve months, in recitals and in services where a touch of Pomp was needed. There are a few fiddly bits, certainly, but it's not as hard as the transcribed Elgar Marches, whose style it very much evokes. (Indeed, you'll find the "big tune" bears an uncanny resemblance to one of Elgar's - but I'm not saying which here!)

• 4 weeks later...

Interestingly, I made enquiries about this piece at music shops to no avail. Chappells couldn't be sure it existed!

However, I found it on the internet at Banks' website for £7.55 (plus P&P £2), sent an order in and got an e-mail back only 11 minutes later saying it had been dispatched! Can't complain about that! It should be with me by Friday now.